Chic Berlin Hotels

Search

Chic Berlin Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chic Berlin Hotels

We're spending three nights in Berlin in June with our two teenaged kids. I've stayed at the Adalon before, but am looking for a looser, hipper environment. Any thoughts? The Madison Potsdamer Platz and the Bleibtrue seem like possibilities, but I've never talked to anyone who has actually stayed at either one. Or are there other choices?

Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I assume you are referring to the <b> Adlon </b> Hotel, is that correct?

I've been to Berlin many times and I <b> honestly would like to help you </b> but frankly, I am a bit mystified by the use of the term &quot;chic&quot; which is about as nebulous as it gets. Are we talking &quot;expensive&quot; or &quot;frequented by beautiful people&quot; or &quot;minimalist furnishings designed to make you feel like you are 'with it' rather than &quot;wasted our money on this cheap stuff&quot; or what?

And no, I am not trying to be a smartass..just trying to tet you to tell us what you really want.

Old May 5th, 2005, 07:47 AM

You might look into the newish Radisson with the giant highrise fishtank in the lobby...sets a certain tone that I think most teens would find pretty cool. Haven't stayed there but did stop by to check out the fish on my last trip and seems well located.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM

We liked the Hyatt on Potsdamer Platz. Good location.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:57 AM

maggiep, Have you already taken a look at Tripadvisor reviews ? Of the two I would take Bleibtreu if I would like hipper one.

I stayed at hotel Palace next to Europa Center last summer. I liked its design, equipment, and lightening in the room as well as its location. http://palace.de/

I think Radisson referred is what used to be Four Seasons ?
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM
hsv

I second the vote for the Grand Hyatt. Unspectacular facade, but modern and still warm interiors, spacious rooms with some of the best bathrooms I know.
Spectacular rooftop pool, fitness center and spa. It usually does come at a price, though.

framboise,
the Radisson referred to here is a brand new property on Karl- Liebknecht Str., near the Museum Island and the Berlin Dome.
I have not yet stayed there, but it indeed appears to be a fine modern hotel that often can be booked at the very affordable rate of &euro; 99.-, if booked at least 5 days in advance.
<b> This is not the former Four Seasons on Gendarmenmarkt </b>. That place is now under the management of Regent Hotels, which indeed is the luxury division of Radisson.

As I have not personally stayed at either the Bleibtreu (notice the spelling) or the Madison, all I can say is this:
The Madison neighbours the Grand Hyatt on Potsdamer Platz - and receives fine reviews, especially by other Fodorites familiar with the city.
The Bleibtreu is a pretty hip and ecologically conscious place in former Western Berlin in a side street (Bleibtreustr.) off Kurfuerstendamm. A friend of mine stayed there once and wasn't that impressed. She referred to the interior as a bit too much IKEA-style.

Whatever you choose, have a great time in Berlin
hsv
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM

If you'd like to try something interesting (and moderately priced), why not try out the art hotel, Propeller Island Lodge? Each room is unique; some are quite unusual. For example you can stay in a room decorated like a prison cell, or one where the bed is suspended from the ceiling, or an upside-down room where the beds are in compartments that open in the floor, or a &quot;coffin room&quot;. Lots of attractive but less quirky rooms, too.

The location was great, the price was excellent, the limited service they offer was prompt and professional (they're not a traditional hotel - so they don't have 24 hour reception, for example) and the decor was amazing. I think Propeller Island is a music recording company - which your kids might find cool.

Here is the website: http://www.propeller-island.com/
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM
DAX

Madison in Potsdamerplatz is one of my favorites (as is the avantgarde Grand Hyatt, however you'd still end up in a business hotel room). At the Madison you'd get a penthouse-like accomodation if you book the larger suites (try to book at least the management suite, but the Grand suite is the best) The easiest way to book is through www.designhotels.com. I used to have to call the hotel directly. You do have to spend more but it's really a great value for what you get.