Florence driving directions out of city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be picking up a car at the Europcar rental site located at Via Borgo Ognissanti which is 5 minutes from the railroad station. Can someone give me the easiest driving directions to get to Assisi from this point. I have never driven in Italy and am anxious about driving out of Florence. I will be picking the car up at 12 noon with the hopes I will not be in rush hour traffic. Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM

sherry:

Not to worry...the Europcar agent will direct you far better than anyone here can...and he/she should mark it clearly on a map. (I've picked up at airport). Borgo Ognissanti is parallel to the Arno and indeed is just a few blocks south toward the river from the Stazione.

My guess is they'll probably direct you to hook onto the A-1 (Road to Rome), so it will be Autostrada all the way to the Perugia cutoff (75 bis) which will take you quickly to the outskirts of Perugia... and the divided highway 75 continues just a few kms. on to Assissi. The signage is very good throughout. You'll be just fine. Goood Luck.

Stu
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM

Anyhow, my advice is to avoid highway and follow Perugia, then from Perugia to Assisi, easy and fast road.
Enjoy it, ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Print it out from Google maps---very easy.
It take you across the Vespucci bridge and follow signs for Roma via A-1.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM

You do NOT need directions. You need a map. In fact, you need several maps. You need small scale maps of florence with each street (and direction and if in a pedestrian zone indicated on each). You also need a larger scale map of florence and the surrounding main highways. Finally you need some maps of Tuscany with al the major roads indicated.

You can print the former from some of the map web sites - but make sure you have enough detail. for the larger map buy Michelin.

Giving you written directions is simply impossible.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM

i usually like to buy a road atlas at a gas station just after picking up my car....they help a lot....signage is only fair in italy i find except on the highways...

i find computer maps less than 100% accurate...
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Sorry NYT, I think you're making it a lot more complicated than it is. I said above that the rental office does this every day and they will give her a map and straightforward directions to get out of Florence and connect with the A-1...from there to Assisi is very simple as I stated. Just my opinion, but loading the OP with several maps will drive her whacko.

Bob, whaddya think?

stu
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM

I do this all the time for clients. The map you need is the Google map I suggested with details from that exact location. There are no ZTLs involved if you just follow the directions.