Leaving Florence with rental car

May 24th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Leaving Florence with rental car

We have reserved a car from Auto Europe at this Florence office:
FLORENCE DOWNTOWN OFFICE
53-55R VIA BORGOGNISSANTI
and will return it to the airport in Pisa for our flight home 4 days later. We will not use the car while in Florence--just for our trip to Cinque Terre and then back to Siena. After reading on this board about the trouble people have had getting OUT of Florence with their cars, does anyone have good directions or advice for us on the best route to get out of Florence? We are staying in Cinque Terre next and my understanding is that we have to drive to Pisa first. I had considered picking up the car in Pisa but it seemed simpler to just get it while in Florence
May 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM

You shouldn't have any problems getting out of Florence. The Rental Agency should be able to give you a map along with detailed instructions. It will be well marked to get to the main Autoroute.
May 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM

It's very simple. All you really need is a good map. Besides the overall map of Tuscany (Michelin is probably best) you will need a detailed street by street map of florence - and any other towns you plan to drive into - which indicates direction of traffic (a walking map won;t work since so many strets are one way.)

You should be able to get what you need from any of the on-line map services. For a major city - where it can be complicated- I always print out every view - even if there are 6 or 7 - from street by street to major neighborhoods - so you always have the big picture of where you will be going - as well as details needed for turns etc.
May 24th, 2005, 05:43 AM
TC

We picked up our rental car at the same office last fall. It was not a serious problem getting out of Florence. The agency gave us a good map and a paper with very specific directions. You do need one person to read the directions and look for the signage and one to drive and watch the traffic. Its easy to miss street signs if you are trying to watch autos and read. Just take is slow and don't be intimidated by the traffic.
May 24th, 2005, 06:09 AM

We picked up a car from that location in 2000. I don't remember the exact directions but I know we just followed what the agency told us and used their map and it was very easy. You are close to the Arno, I believe and will not have to drive through a lot of the historic city center. Very easy to hit the Autostrada from that location.