Getting out of Florence by rental car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult will it be to pick up our rental car in Florence, and immediately drive OUT of the city, heading into Tuscany?

I've read so many nightmarish posts regarding driving IN the city. What are your experiences getting OUT?

Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I sure wouldn't drive in the city. Squeezing five cars across three lanes of jostling city traffic is not my idea of vacation.
After a few days in Florence, we took a taxi to the airport and picked up our car there. MUCH easier and far less stressful.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I've nearly killed many innocent Florentine pedestrians, it is not that difficult to get on the road to Tuscany from the Borgo Ognisanti rental car sites.

They'll give you good directions to get out of town, and soon you will be on the beautiful 222 through Chianti.

Take the Florence driving challenge, make sure your navigator is not hung over and you can say that you survived driving out of Florence. Good luck!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:09 PM

cupspinner,

For us, driving OUT was actually pretty easy...driving IN was AWFUL..one way streets everywhere and no signs to speak of..AND we had good maps...AND we have done this for several years..it is the motor scooters that will get you every time...
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the actual name of the street where you pick up the car is Via Borgognissanti, not that street I gave you in previous post. It's still pretty easy, though, if you are good at following directions.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM

If you rent through AutoEurope, you'll probably pick up at Avis or Hertz, which are both on Via Borgognissanti. You'll turn right out of the garage, soon take a left, take the next left and drive a few blocks along the river before taking a right over a bridge. Then you'll drive down a street with small shops until you reach 222 or the autostrada. A piece of cake. Take a good map.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM

We have rented many times in Florence and had no problem in leaving the city. Only concern be sure you check the one way streets ,
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'll be the navigator, and appreciate the input!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I agree that leaving from that location and how easy it is. You can look at www.mappy.com and see how close that pick up site is from the autostrada.