Search

Ritz Carlton Berlin temporarily closed for sanitary reasons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:08 AM
hsv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ritz Carlton Berlin temporarily closed for sanitary reasons

Just FYI, should anybody plan to travel to Berlin and stay at the brand new Ritz Carlton:

The property has been evacuated because of dangerous bacteria in their water system and some cases of illness due to that.
They have evacuated the hotel and are not renting until the system has been cleaned and that problem will be solved.

Regards
hsv
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:16 AM

I was just about to book this property for a forthcoming break in Berlin - besides the obvious,is it a good property?
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:16 PM

Read a report (with photos) here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...21#post2678721

My opinion, for the little that it is worth given how much I have in common with mk2, is that I do not like the locaation of the Ritz nearly so well as I like the location of the Westin, Adlon, or Radisson SAS.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:20 PM

The location of the Four Seasons is also very good.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:15 PM
hsv
Original Poster

m_kingdom2,

judging from your previous posts, I agree with WillTravel that I presume you would prefer the Adlon or the Four Seasons which are comparably new hotels, too, but still the Berlin classics, whereas the Ritz Carlton is sort of the new kid on the block. The block being Potsdamer Platz area, which is architecturally interesting but a bit sterile.

The Adlon by the Brandenburg Gate and the Four Seasons on Gendarmenmarkt are more in the middle of everything if you are not only on business.
The Adlon, as opposed to the Four Seasons, offers a pool and Spa area, if that is important.

If you would prefer some modern design and don't mind staying on Potsdamer Platz, I would strongly recommend the Grand Hyatt. Their service is very friendly and has won some kind of award (approx. 2 years ago), for what that's worth... They also have a gorgeous rooftop pool and spa, which you won't find anywhere else in Berlin in that quality. The same goes for the very tasteful bathrooms in the rooms.
Overall, the Grand Hyatt is not as posh as the Adlon, but I could do very well with it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM

Sadly both the Adlon and Grand Hyatt are fully booked for my dates - only junior suites are available. I'm visiting a friend there so will be spending very little time in my room. I would like a pool, for either an early morning swim or relax later in the day.

What is the Kempinski Bristol like?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM

The location of the Kempinski Bristol, in western Berlin on the Ku-damm, would not be my choice.

The Westin Grand has a pool. However, it is only 4' high or so and quite small.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
hsv
Original Poster

m_kingdom2,

the Bristol is sort of the grand old dame of Berlin hotels. It is located just off Kurfuerstendamm (Ku'damm) in the center of West Berlin. Being part of the Kempinski chain and living up to its former glory as THE West Berlin hotel to stay at, they still manage to keep going, now that the action in Berlin has basically transferred to the Mitte district around Unter den Linden Blvd. and Friedrichstr.
However, IMHO it looks a bit dated and I have recently seen a couple of offers on LastMinute.com at incredibly low rates along with even some bus package tours. Without wanting to appear snobby, I am not so sure that the clientele drawn by offers like such is likely to add to a classy atmosphere.

Overall and still, I would not hesitate to stay there, if it's a really good rate and I could not find anywhere else to stay. That is also due to the fact that I would prefer to stay in Mitte or on Potsdamer Platz rather than on Ku'damm, as to me the whole area there feels a bit dated.
BTW, a review I recently read in a German newspaper was fairly positive but also indicated that the clientele of the hotel is sort of ageing along with the property producing a bit of stuffy atmosphere, if you catch my drift.

Frankly, I think you will do better looking for other hotel options such as the Four Seasons, which by atmosphere and most of all location will feel far superior to the Bristol.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM

The Four Seasons want over 200GBP per night, I'd sooner have a junior suite at the Adlon.

This is a "bargain" break for me as I'm having to lose a club flight from Prague to London (no refund available) and book a train and one way from Berlin to London instead.

Swisssotel (no pool) could be an option or the Kempinski Bristol. Where are the designer shops such as Jil Sander located?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:55 PM

The Kempinski appears on Priceline for rates around $90-95 USD. I recall from another thread that mk2 tends to disregard any hotel that appears on Priceline (which includes the Westin also), so that is obviously a strike against it from mk2's point of view.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:57 PM

Sorry - it's the Swissotel that appears on Priceline for that price range, not the Kempinski (which hasn't so far as I know appeared on Priceline).
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:58 PM

Besides the small, and rather dull looking rooms I thought the Kempinski might suffice, the Priceline thing does disappoint me, however, I might just have to be brave and see how it turns out.

Or I could come straight home from Prague, and book the Ritz Carlton for the fall, I'm not yet entirely convinced that this is the way to go.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM

That does change things, perhaps it will be the Kempinski.

Where are the major designer shops located? Nearby or miles away?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
hsv
Original Poster

I think, Jil Sander actually has her shop on Kuurfuerstendamm.
If this is a bargain break, I still would rather look into the brand new Radisson in Mitte or the brand new Marriott on Potsdamer Platz, which should both be pleasant, than at the Swissotel.
If it is a choice between the Swissotel and the Bristol, I think even though the Swissotel is much newer, I would lean towards the Bristol. But that's just a "guts- feeling", as I haven't stayed at either.

You might also want to take a look at the Intercontinental, another West Berlin hotel, that has had a 55 million € overhaul (esp. the East Wing) and receives rave reviews for its restaurant.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:03 PM
hsv
Original Poster

Many of the designers are on Unter den Linden nowadays, which is not walking distance from Ku'damm but a quick train ride or short taxi trip.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM

MK2-you will find all on the Ku-damn that you seek- elegance, sophistication, great designer shops, the Ka De We (Berlin's most elegant department store -I believe it's something like TWICE the size or more of Harrod's-stands for "Kaufhof des Westens" or Department STore of the West-meaning West Germany.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:07 PM

If Jil Sander's there it must be good - does Prada have a store in Berlin?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM
hsv
Original Poster

Spygirl has a point here, although I allow myself to make one correction:
KaDeWe stands for "KaufHAUS des Westens". I think it is operated by the Karstadt concern whose competitor is a chain called "KaufHOF".
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
hsv
Original Poster

m_kindom,

looks like the West is the place to go for you:
Prada is also on Kurfuerstendamm close to Adenauerplatz

Gucci, La Perla and Luis Vuiton (among others) are in Quartier 206 on Friedrichstr. in Mitte.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:19 PM

quite right hsv-it is Kaufhaus, you know I was thinking of the Kaufhof-which is a lower scale department store but one I like very much (also in Berlin) and it has a great restaurant!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -