Search

Been to Prague?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been to Prague?

We are visiting Prague for the first time in October. Looking for hints on what to do and not to do. Any reasonable hotel suggestions? We're savvy Europe tourists but this is our 1st time in Prague.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:05 PM

Hi, We were just there in June. I needed 2 hotel rooms, so nothing seemed reasonable to me. We ended up renting an apartment in Nove Mesto near Wencalas Sq. Huge 2 bedroom, 2 bath, livingroom and eat in kitchen for 15,900 czk for 4 nights. Their web site is www.travel.cz. The location was perfect. Within walking distance to everything. See all the tourist attractions, but save time just to walk around and marvel at the buildings and all the statuary on most of them.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:13 PM

I booked a hotel called Hotel Constans located in Mala Strana halfway between the castle and Stare Mesto for 7/04. They offered me a very good rate and a room with a view. But not all rooms have views nor a/c-ours is a triple room-on the top floor.

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
scumpy

I found some well located and very reasonably priced apartments at www.vrbo.com.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:27 PM

We recently stayed at the Intercontinental and it was excellent if you appreciate 5 star service and amenities, and convenient location.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Like zwho, I used the same apartment service and found it reasonable (altho the service could have been better). I was concerned that I would have no concierge but it worked out fine. And I was travelling alone!

See the castle, attend a concert, check out the Jewish quarter, stroll over Charles Bridge.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:21 AM
rex

We enjoyed our apartment rental this past May from www.athos.cz if this is an alternative that would appeal to you. We stayed at Apartments Zatec, an excellent location, and a good bargain.

Not really wheelchair accessible, if this matters to you. On floor "five" (Europe numbering system), with an elevator from floor "1/2" to "3 and 1/2" (a retro fit on the outside of the building and it stops on the landing between floors in the stair case itself).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:36 AM

This past May we made our first trip to Prague and loved the city. We stayed at the Maximilian Hotel ([email protected]). Don't know if you would consider it reasonable (€206), but it is a great hotel, well located, wonderful staff, etc.

We did the usual "tourist type" things, but we also just walked about, admiring the wonderful architecture and interesting buildings, stopping at sidewalk cafes for snacks and sometimes just a beer. The Charles Bridge is all everyone says here and more. So unique. We loved the Mucha museum, which doesn't seem to be suggested as much as many other museums. We toured the Staropramen Brewery. We attended an opera at the National Theater and had pancakes afterward at Cafe Slavia. Took a cruise on the Vltava. Shopped, loved the food and in general had a wonderful time. I think you will also be captivated by this wonderful city.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:38 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Meteor (Best Western) right outside of the Powder Tower/Old Town. In general found that Prague wanted our money but did not know how to treat "tourists".. If you go anywhere by cab i.e. up to the castle.. arrange a round trip - otherwise the trip down is twice as much. Sunday afternoon in the church square is marvellous.. had a great traditional jazz band - good beer everywhere. Wine - try and eat at U SOPA (just inside the old town) for a good meal, reasonable $$.. no atmosphere.. Having just spent a great time in Vienna probably added to our feeling that Prague was missing "something" as far as we were concerned. Enjoy..
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:14 AM

To each his own -- we prefer Prague to Vienna. If you are looking for clean budget accommodations you might look at www.holidayhome.cz. We have stayed there twice and appreciate them very much. For October they are advertizing prices of about $48 for a double room. Of course, the rooms are very basic, but very clean and neat.It is a couple of metro stops from the Old Town, not hard to do.

I second the recommendation for the Mucha Museum. I am not a huge art fan, but I do like Mucha (perhaps he is more of a graphic artist and that's why I enjoy his stuff). It's a block or two off Wenceslas Square.

St. Nicholas Church (Mala Strana one) is incredibly ornate and recently re-furbished. You won't want to miss it. I think there is a fee, but it's worth it.

Have fun. I've been to Prague five times and would go again, if there weren't so many more places I also want to see.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Definitely allow time to just walk around Prague without a set agenda. It's just packed with interesting things to see, and I felt a bit overwhelmed by it when I was there.