Bath or Salisbury / Stonehenge

May 8th, 2002, 06:50 PM
steve

Bath or Salisbury / Stonehenge

If you had to choose one daytrip from London which would it be?

Thanks....

May 8th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Leslie

Bath, hands down.

May 8th, 2002, 10:45 PM
janis

Well - you don't give us much to work with. Salisbury cathedral is magnificent and many people don't feel their trip is complete without a visit to Stonehenge. I love Salisbury and have stayed there several times. Stomehenge is disappointing for some because you simply walk around the perimiter - you really don't even get a good feel for the size of the stones (without booking special "inside the ropes" tours)

For an enjoyable day trip from London, I would opt for a train trip to Bath. There is enough to see and do to really fill a day. It is a World Heritage City and with the Roman Baths, Pump Room, the Abbey, the archetecture, the river and wonderful shopping and restaurants it is a great "experience".

May 9th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Julie

Bath - particularly if you are going in spring/summer.

May 9th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Suzy

We did Bath and Stonehenge, it's not very far out of the way. Stonehenge opens at 9 AM in the summer, go there first and spend the rest of the day in Bath.

May 9th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Dave

Salisbury, hands down.

May 9th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Marsha

I would suggest Salisbury and Avebury. At Avebury, you are able to walk among the stones (they encircle a village).

May 9th, 2002, 05:47 AM
elvira

For myself, Stonehenge hands down - the place has a peculiar energy that overshadows the inaccessibility of the stones. I'm not one of those New Age sorts - no chants, no prisms, no harmonic convergence or whatever that's called - but there is a definite (male) energy.

For anyone else, I'd recommend Bath - the juxtaposition (just love that word) of Roman, medieval and modern makes your brain work overtime. If you eat at Sally Lunn's, check out the original kitchen downstairs (you will never complain about yours again).

May 9th, 2002, 05:51 AM
trying

Steve: I agree with a previous poster: You could do Bath and Stonehenge in one day, if you start early. I believe you can take the train from Waterloo to Salisbury, visit the cathedral, take a bus to Stonehenge, return to Salisbury, continue to Bath by train and visit the baths and the Abbey, which are across from each other. We took a bus tour of Bath and a cab tour of Bath. Prices were compatible and it was a nice tour. You can return to London to Paddington on a direct train (1.5 hours). Additionally, I believe there are bus tours from London that might hit these sights and include Bath. We stayed 3 nights in Bath, but only spent a little more than a day in Bath. We felt that was plenty (IMHO).