Reload this Page >

SHHHH! I am going to propose!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Jason

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their most romantic spots in Italy. I will be in Venice, Florence, Rome and Amalfi Coast and all their surroundings. Hopefully. Thanks in advance.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Leah

You're going to get every kind of suggestion in the world here - so here's one from a strictly feminine point of view. If someone were going to propose to me, I can think of no more beautiful place than the Amalfi coast.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Amy

A couple staying in our hotel last month got engaged on a boat tour around Capri at sunset. He had tried to do it on the gondola at the top of Capri, but got scared he'd drop the ring! I second the nomination for Amalfi Coast. Rome, not so much. Can't speak for Venice or Florence....yet!

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:17 PM
DeAnn

Another vote for the Amalfi coast - Positano is a dream. If you can find a private spot in Venice or have a particularly helpful gondolier that would be another lovely choice.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:32 PM
xxx

Ask her while standing in front of the David in Florence. She'll always remember that, and she'll never be disappointed about any of your "shortcomings" with that comparison.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Natasha

Venice first thing in the morning before anyone is around is VERY romantic. Worth getting up early for.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Louis Parent

I agree with Florence. My wife was totally taken by David's butt! <BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Mark

Amalfi coast views would really make it special, but I feel that Sorrento and Capri are too overloaded with tourists to make your special moment as private and intimate as you'd want. If you decided to take a trip to Positano on the bus or possibly Amalfi, those would be a bit more intimate.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Sand

On a gondola in Venice, where else could you match it? Only place in the world, have the gondolier sing if you want to get a little corny, but why not? You want the occasion to be remembered, right?

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:45 PM
CB

I have personal experience with this one! My finace proposed to me in Positano on the beach under a full moon. It was really wonderful. Italy is so magical, any place you propose will be special. Good luck!

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Jill

My first visit to Italy was to Venice and Florence. The first night I was in Venice, I remember seeing a couple dancing in St. Mark's square under the full moon, and thought this is the perfect place to be in love. Well, seven years later I wasn't engaged there, but I am going on my honeymoon there next month! Best of luck!

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Leah

I have to throw in another 2 cents here re: Venice. While I agree that St Mark's Square at night is very romantic and magical, it is pretty crowded - a good place to go AFTER you propose to dance the night away. As for proposing on a gondola ride - well, make sure you take the ride at night, when the smell of the canals is not as pronounced! I still think the coastal breezes, the lemon trees and the palms and all of the flora in Amalfi make for an intoxicating mix - and you can top it off with a lovely glass of Limoncello.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Nancy

I have to vote for a gondola in Venice. It sounds so incredibly romantic to me. And as someone else said, who could forget that.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:51 AM
arlene

I have to vote for the Almalfi coast...either Positano,Ravello or Capri. The Cimbrone gardens in Ravello would be great as would the terrace restaurant at Palazzo Sasso. The options are endless but I can't think of a more perfect place than the coast. Good Luck, you'll have a fantastic trip!!!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
LJ

If you decide on Florence, go up to the lookout above the city or even to Fiesole (a small town just above the city) at dusk. The light that sweeps over Florence just after sunset and before complete dark, is absolutely unforgettable...which is what you want in a setting for a proposal.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:15 AM
twocents

I would gather up the suggestions, then decide once you get there and The Moment seems just perfect. You'll know it when you feel it.<BR><BR>Congratulations & best wishes.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Nicole

Out of the places you're going to, I have been to Venice and Florence. My vote would be to propose during a gondola ride. There are many romantic places in Venice, but it can often be crowded. One of the nicest parts about a gondola ride is that it is just the two of you out on the water, away from the crowds. <BR><BR>Any time of day would be wonderful, but especially romantic would be during sunset...however, you may have to plan ahead a little because the gondoliers get booked up at that time of day.