Help! Venice or Amalfi Coast?

Aug 25th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Help! Venice or Amalfi Coast?

My husband and I are planning our return trip to Italy for late Oct/early Nov. Rome is a must for us, but we're torn between also visiting Venice or the Amalfi Coast. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
Aug 25th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Have you made a list of pros and cons? What you want to see and do in each place? Perhaps that wil help.

I would go for Venice - because for me the Amalfi coast is definitely a srping.summer sort of place (perfect in late may, early June).
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I have not been to the Amalfi Coast but i have been close...to Capri...and know people that went to Amalfi. It is great if you want to see those great ocean views, blue water, and some great history. I agree that it is more for the spring/summer. I just returned from Venice though and absolutely loved it. Completely different. There is really nothing like seeing a town whose streets are canals!!! It is really romantic and you can find such peace wandering through the back streets in the different sections. It would also be a great time to go. There will be a lot less tourists than normal and the weather doesn't matter. It rained a day when we were there and it was still amazing. I would vote for Venice....and do a Gondola ride...it is worth it.
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:33 PM
ira

Hi CB,

I think that you will be a little late for the AC. The weather will be iffy and the seas could be rough.
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM

There is no way anyone can say what one is better - it's all a matter of your personal taste as they are very different type places. Ancient villages draped over a stunningly gorgeous coast or the world's most beautiful and romantic city (opinion)? For variety there's so much to do in the Amalfi area (Capri, Ischia, the coast itself, Paestum, Pompeii) and it has better weather in fall. Mama mia, life is full of difficult choices!
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:01 PM

My husband & I will be in Venice & Positano the last 2 weeks in October. We were in Positano once before around the same time and plenty of warm weather and no crowds!
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:11 PM

I just got back from Venice and Positano. Both are nice in the fall too! You can easily train or fly from Naples to Venice. That is what I did and saw both again. Both are fabulous locations, so you really can't make a bad choice. Have a great trip.
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Mrs. Fly and I love the Amalfi Coast. But, if it's either or, keep in mind that there are many lovely coastal regions in the world, while Venice is a unique world treasure.
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:17 PM

CheBird, did you visit either place on previous trip to Italy?
Like the others, I guess it comes back to what you want to see.
On our last trip to Europe, we were disappointed with Venice, it was the height of summer, very crowded, a friend got pickpocketed on one of the crowded bridges, and the water smelt strongly of sewerage, so as you can see we weren't that impressed, and decided there & then that we wouldn't return to Venice.
However, we loved the Amalfi coastline, and would return there at a drop of a hat, I guess it because we love swimming, and spectacular cliff scenery.
Aug 25th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the tips! To answer one of your questions, no, we've never been to Venice or AC. We've done Rome, San Gimignano and Assisi so far.