Extra day: Venice or Amalfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our 2nd trip but haven't been to either Venice or AC. We have an extra day not planned. Thoughts on where would be better mid April? I'm not interested in Murano glass but other side trips from Venice would be OK.....or is it better to explore Amalfi area?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:34 AM

amalfi coast definitely!!! its beautiful, peaceful a day of relax under the sun and visiting the small towns.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:35 AM
mjs

I have no clue. What is the rest of your itinerary?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I predict that 8 out of 10 people will say Venice........HOWEVER;
My vote goes to the beautiful and interesting Amalfi Coast. Lot of day trips if that's what you are looking for. (we've been to both in April, on different years, and it was nice and quite cool) Sorry, the Amalfi Coast was in early March, April may warm up a little)
AFTER your trip you'll know if you made the right decision&gt....Venice is gorgeous of course also,,and lots of see and do.
All depends on the person!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. In regards to our itinerary, we love the history architecture and art. I'm not interested in shopping. We are there to soak up the ambiance.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM

No, the idea is how does this one day fit with your itinerary. And are you talking about one day and one night? For instance I wouldn't go to the Amalfi Coast from Rome for one day. It takes half a day to get there and another half to get back. I would consider going to Pompeii for that one day if I really wanted to.

I'd go for an extra day in Venice, which is what seems to be your alternative. Some sidetrips from Venice are Verona, Vicenza and the Palladian villas, as well as Burano and Torcello.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
ira

Hi P,

There is more to Venice than the glass factories on Murano.

When are you going?

What is your full itinerary?

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Yes, patiboo. Are you already spending some days in both Venice and Amalfi and this would be an additional day in one or the other? Since you talk about side trips from Venice, it sounds as though you alread have some time there. How many days are you already scheduled to be where?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I have been to Venice 4 times. The last time this past summer I was there for 4 nights and I still felt a bit rushed. So if I had an extra day and the choices are the ones you agce I would take Venice.
Also, from Venice you can do day trips like Verona or Padova.
Like Ira says, there is more to Vencie than Murano... I just realized that in all my times there I have never gone to Murano( although I enjoy looking at the beautiful glass in the stores)
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Save both of those until you have at least 3 days each--5 is better.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

We are already scheduled for 3 days in Venice and 2 full days in Amalfi so I'm sure that will give us time to see the typical tourist places; however, we have an extra day and didn't know whether to stay an additional day in Venice or relax in Amalfi. We're going in APril and aren't really interested in shopping in Positano or going to Capri. Ira, you seemed to love the LeSirene in Praino and I'm undecided whether to stay there or in Ravello, which sounds absolutely lovely.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Then I'd take the extra day in Venice. If you are diligent in your sightseeing the first 3 days and are able to cram in most of the sights in the hisoric center, then the 4th day might give you a chance to visit one of the other lagoon islands, e.g., Murano, Burano, Torcello, etc.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:45 PM
EdC

Amalfi coast by far...we had the night of our life in Positano!
Venice is amazing, but when we went , not very clean...
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:45 PM
mjs

I must be dense but I still really do not understand this itinerary. Venice and Amalfi are not close to each other and you want to train/fly between each location for a few days visit? Positano is known for it's shops?
Interest in Amalfi but not Capri? No interest in Pompeii?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:09 AM

I have to second those who are confused: more details, please. Your air gateways could make a lot of difference, that is, where you are flying into, and/or from, not to mention where else you are going this trip. For instance, what is happening between Venice and Amalfi? What is the total length of your trip? How are you travelling within Italy? etc. etc. Otherwise, planning this itinerary will be like trying to knit a garment without knowing whether it's supposed to be a scarf or a sweater.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:45 AM

We quite happily spend a full week in Venice without visiting Murano or any shops - there is more than enough to do in Venice without any side trips, so I'd say add a day to that.

The weather might not be nice on the Amalfi Coast in April so I wouldn't bother spending any longer there. What are you planning to do with your 2 days if you don't want to go to Posirtano or Capri & it won't be swimming/sunbathing weather - one day in Amalfi & one in Ravello ?

Personally, although I love the Amalfi Coast & have been five times, it's so difficult to get there that I wouldn't bother going for 2 days. And I wouldn't go in April - I'd stick to cities then.

If you've only got 5 days in total I'd recommend just going to Venice.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

We fly into Venice, spend three days, train to Cortona and Orvieto, spending one night each and train to Amalfi for two full days then on to Rome for three days. I'm trying to decide if I want an extra day in Venice or Amalfi. The Amalfi towns look so charming and we love to go on short hikes as well as admire the art and architecture.
I thought the weather would be ok in April but now you have me wondering....
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM

I get it with the itinerary. We went from Venice to Amalfi coast on one trip a few years back. Flew into Zurich, out of Rome.
We spent 3 days in Venice, 3 in Florence, 3 in Amalfi at the Luna Convento. (All part of a larger trip.)

This dilemma is win-win. Since I've been back to Venice 4 times ad not gone back to Amalfi coast, you can see my preference. But if you are going to Amalfi Coast for 2 days/nights I'd consider spending the 3rd there. As others have said, that's quite a trip out for just 2 days.