Bath and Stonehenge without a tour????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in London in March and would like to go to Bath and Stonehenge the same day . I know we can do a tour but we like to control how long we stay in each places so tours don't work so well for us - I know we can take a train to Bath from London - but does anyone know how we can get to Stonehenge??? I did a search on this board and saw where someone had hired someone to take them - I think the guides name was Gordon. Anyway - is there a bus we can take??? Or would a taxi be really expensive?? Or is there a bus tour from Bath to Stonehenge ??? I realize it will be a long day but we really want to go to both and we've already paid for our hotel in London so we don't want to spend the night in Bath. Anyone that has done anything like this- please tell me best way to do it. Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:49 PM
ET

Take the train to Salisbury. There are buses at the station there that will take you to Stonehenge. You can then return to Salisbury and continue your journey to Bath. However, you also might just want to spend the day in Salisbury. Its a delightful town.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cheriegal,<BR><BR>I topped a thread called day trip to Bath and Stonehenge for you. It mentions some day tours to these two places. There seems to be some controversy about whether or not you can adequately see both in a day .
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:12 PM

ET is right - you can find the bus timetable here:<BR><BR>http://www.stonehenge.org.uk/trans/buses.shtml<BR><BR>While in Salisbury, be sure to visit the Cathedral and Chapter House (to see the Magna Carta).
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Oh wow - you guys are great and in record time. Thanks so much. I'll check it out. Is Salisbury better than Bath?
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM
gb

At Stonehenge, they rent headphones that are just fine and informative. At Bath, we took the tour available at the site. It was good also.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:14 PM
ET

Cheriegal<BR>Can't really answer the question about whether Salisbury is better than Bath. I've spent time in both and enjoyed both. Salisbury is a quaint town with a fine cathedral. Its an enjoyable place just to walk around. Bath is particularly interesting for its architecture and the Roman baths that were unearthed there. As a tourist, you would probably get more out of visiting Bath, but with a stop at Stonehenge on the same day, understand that you won't really have enough time to fully explore the town.