Bargains in Paris, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be going to Paris in late November. Can anyone tell me if there are any bargain buys in Paris even with the US dollar being so weak to the Euro? Any good shopping areas? How about any Christmas markets? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:25 AM

There was a thread posted on this subject...in fact a few of them within the last two weeks or so. try a search of the posts and you will come up with it i'm sure. try "shopping" or shopping Paris in the search box. I haven't been on this board for too long so not certain of all the "quirks" yet, so maybe another poster can give you a better idea to locate the threads.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:32 AM

There is a guide book series "Born to Shop" for which there is a Paris edition. It includes outlet stores and such as well as generally shopping advice.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:45 AM

"Born to Shop" is by Suzanne Herrman Loomis...

I was there last year in late November; I do not recall specifically seeing anything like what I imagine a "Chrismas Market". Also, I don't recall seeing bargains enough to make me do my holiday shopping there...except for maybe food things.
People here have suggested mustards, vinegars, oil, wine, of course, that you can buy in the supermarkets.
...and then there are scarves, VERY soft, long wool-feeling ones. Tres parisienne...
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM

The "Born to Shop" books that I have (Paris, London, NY) are by Suzy Gershman.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:17 AM

I believe Susan Hermann Loomis writes very good French cookbooks (other types of food too.)
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Though it seems antithetical to the concept of couture, France has begun to adopt the discount outlet. There is one such place in Ile St. Denis. Not huge, it does offer things like a Nike store, a sizable shoe shop, and several clothing shops. Online at www.marquesavenue.com/ It is reachable by metro and bus and easily combinable with a visit to the Clignancourt flea market.

There is also a large discount outlet near Disneyland Paris - online info at www.lavalleevillage.com/lavallee/home.asp?lan=en but we didn't visit so can't offer a review.
If you do a google on Paris discount shopping you will find links to several listings of shops that offer wholesale or discount goods in town, sort of like shopping the fashion district in NYC.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:22 AM

I don't know of any bargain buys in Paris, but I don't really like shopping and don't shop that much on vacation. When I do, it's just to buy things I find unique to the area or that mean something to me.

So, there are many good shopping areas, but maybe someone could suggest something if you specified what kinds of things you really want to buy. If you just want to buy stuff because you like to shop -- well, rue Alesia in the 14th is good for "seconds" designer clothing, some bags, things like that -- mainly clothes and shoes. I think Armani was pretty cheap. That's just one area.

As for Christmas markets, yes, they have them and they are detailed by date and location on the Paris Tourist Office web site, look in the seasonal events section. www.paris-touristoffice.com
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Jlm is right and I'm goofy!
Suzy Gershman has written another great book about moving there ...
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM

don't forget the flea markets. Get the book on antique and flea markets of London and Paris. We visited Vanves this time. There were some bargains to be had. I did use The Paris Shopping Companion (Susan Swire Winkle) as a loose guide.
The only true bargain I found in Paris was at La Samaritane where Decleor Skin Care products were 20% off.

Otherwise, once you do the math you realize it might be cheaper to wait until you get home.

We did consider buying cigarettes there for our friends who still smoke. The packages simply say in very big letters "Smoking Kills". That could be an expenditure worth doing.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I do want to say, now that the bills are coming in and we can see the exchange rate in black and white, it costs alot more than you think in the moment. But, we sure did have fun.

Now for some sightseeing bargains. Take the metro to the Trocadero Metro Stop and see the Eiffel Tower at night. Oh my. Walk down the stairs and across to the tower itself. Take a cab ride home and see the various monuments all lit up. It's very much a bargain and very much worth it.

Go to the top floor of the Samaritaine and have a look see out over all of Paris. Have a cafe.

Visit the cemetaries. Have lunch at the cafe in the D'orsay,Find the various street markets-Richard Lenoir is a good one, and take in the sights and smells.

Since it will be cold. Take a hammam-Turkish bath(50Euros) at Bains du Les Marais. Take as long as you want. It will be a bargain. Or, check out the hammam at the Paris Mosque. It will be less $$.

Travel to Montmarte and have a platter of oysters at La Mascotte at lunchtime.

Buy some warm chestnuts on the street and hold them close to you.

If you have a hankering for chinese noodles head over to the `11th to Wok. For 15 euros you can build your own stir fry.Head on over to Hotel de Ville and watch the ice skaters. Have hot chocolate at Laudree or Angelina's.

Go to Miriage Freres for tea. Watch them sell the tea. Buy some to take home. I really love the Marco Polo and the Noel is a lovely holiday gift.

Oh to be there again
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM

If you're looking for designer-brand clothing at discount prices, the place to go is the rue d'Alesia in the 14th, between the Alesia and Plaisance metro stops. You'll find a dozen or more "stock" shops, where you can find some good buys, usually for last season's styles.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good info.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:35 PM

the TATI shop at italie2 in place italie.
prices dont get better than that.get all your christmas gifts from there