Search

Sales in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sales in Paris

Contrary to popular opinion, there are still sales going on in Paris. I was under the assumption that August 2, 2008 was the last day, legally it is, and they do not advertise sales, as before "SOLDES", but now they are called "Fin de Series", which basically is, the last of the season- whats left after the sales. Some stores have them hidden in the back, some will bring them from storage, if you ask, but ALL want to get rid of summer stock.

If you live in a warm clime as we do, then basically the only clothing you can buy anyway is summer clothes.

Also contrary to public opinion, there are good purchases to be made here. Most sale items were 50-70% off, and the quality ranges from bargain basement to the sky. France is not as expensive as some make it out to be. I think this false assumption scares many into thinking that they can neither travel here, or make purchases here. Whatever we purchase in the US, that comes from Europe, is usually LESS expensive here.

Just my point of view... Yes, US/Great Britian tourism is way down this year here, but it still is not London, yet.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I've been there a lot during those sales, and I don't agree with you for the most part. Most of the things I can buy in the US and in France are cheaper in the US (I"m talking about a brand name, the exact same thing). There may be some things cheaper in France, but they are probably expensive things, so if the point is to save money, that won't do it. And there are always exceptions, but in general, I have seen far many more things back in the US cheaper than in Paris. Markdowns can be cheaper, of course, but one can't count on them as a general guide for shopping in Paris (and even then, what is left during those sales is often very limited, you don't get the best selection).

I think what most people mean is generic things (eg, a sweater or raincoat), and not comparing to the chance that you may find one unusual item for 70 pct off in August.

They have "fin de series" stuff for sale all the time in stores in Paris, I don't think it's related to the official bi-annual sales.

If you are British, that might explain why you think Paris is a bargain, though, I can see that.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Intex, I am a little confused, as it appears this thread starts in the middle of a conversation. Did this spin off from another post? Also, I'm in the US and not familiar with "legal" sales and deadlines, though for sure a sale got my attention. No idea if things are more or less expensive in France, especially with the dollar moving up and down daily. I'll be there in October, so hope there are some good sales. Hope you can clarify this for me. Thanks
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I thought this was to be a forum to provide info to other travellers- thats what IO was trying to do, answer others questions. My comments were based on personal experience that many items I purchase in th US of European origin are Cheaper here. How could they be less expensive in the U.S.? After freight, customs and markup?

What I was referring to in particuliar, were the 2 Legal sales in France, one in summer, one in winter, and the fact that many stores, including the largest department stores, do not necessarilly end their markdowns on the official end date, and those Fodor readers that may have thought that the sale ended Aug. 2, still have an opportunity to purchase sale items, probably until the end of this month.

Challiman: I don't think that you will see any sales in October. Unlike the US where stores have sales every other week, in france sale dates are regulated by the government.

Next time I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Intex wrote: "Next time I'll keep my mouth shut."

Please do not let one response that you don't like dissuade you.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Oh goodness, don't stop posting. I was just confused as it seemed to be a reply and others have had lots of problems on here with posts not showing up, etc. And this is the place to share your knowledge. Just remember, sometimes what we write online doesn't come across as intended. I've been "reprimanded" at times, out of my ignorance, being new to Fodors, or using terminology that wasn't quite right. Keep posting and sharing. There's room for all sorts of opinions here.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Intex: Christina usually posts as if her message is the last word on any particular subject, so don't be dismayed. She is knowledgeable but not infallible, as so few of us are.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Anyway, <i>fin de s&eacute;rie</i> = clearance.
There are also <i>promotions</i> at any time of year.

It's all really quite technical and highly regulated.

During the official sales periods, the items on sale must have already been in the shop before the sale for at least two weeks at their &quot;normal&quot; price, so that the 30% off or 50% off stickers can be checked by authorities. During the sales periods, items may be sold at a loss. This is not authorized at any other time.

Items on clearance will be cheaper than usual, but may not be sold at a loss outside of the sales period.

Promotions are something completely different. This is new merchandise that has been brought into the shop to be sold at cheaper prices than usual, mainly to attract customers. The quality of promotional items is often not as good as the standard items in the store.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Intex;
Please don't &quot;keep your mouth shut&quot; as you suggested. So many good posters have left this forum because of the insensitive replies of some of the forum's participants. It is a shame.
One of the responders to your post here has claimed to &quot;hate&quot; shopping on several other posts yet she's all opinions and expertise on sales and shopping in Paris in this one as though she shops frequently. She can't make up her mind what she is. Don't let it get to you. It's just one rotten apple amongst a basket of gems.
I for one liked what you had to say.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I was just trying to clear something up that a Fodorite had emailed me about, worried that coming late in August she may have missed all the summer sales.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 02:15 AM

&quot;How could they be less expensive in the U.S.? After freight, customs and markup?&quot;

Dead easy.

Many products - like clothes - with European brand names are made wherever's best value. Freighting them to the US from - say - China is cheaper than freighting them to Europe. Even if they're made in Europe, marine freight's dirt cheap if you organise it properly. Rich countries generally have near-zero import duties on goods they don't make themselves: America's insane levels of duty on clothing (which the US just doesn't make any more) are just a loopy exception, and a tribute to the Democratic party's income from US fabric mills.

US retailers, typically, put about the same mark up on goods as European retailers, and US sales taxes are usually lower than Europe's VAT. All things being equal, therefore, a teddy bear with a German brand, made in China, ought to be cheaper in the US than in Germany.

All things aren't equal though, and currency shifts, market quirks and everything else mean you can never predict where an item's going to be cheapest.

And that's the only generalisation about all this you can trust. Don't buy anything abroad unless you know what it costs at home is my view.