january sales in Paris

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:35 PM
glo

january sales in Paris

Does anyone have any information about the winter sales held in stores in Paris every year? I have heard they are held in January?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM
Eye Spy

Glo, go to Paris now and spend spend spend. You'll have some of the best prices anywhere as sales are regulated in France by the government, the largest two in January and July. Now is the time to buy, and get the necessary forms filled out so you can save further on the VAT when you leave the country. Don't forget! When you are there, almost all the stores will have banners in the window saying "SOLDES" or "PRIX SPECIAUX DE FIN D'ANNEE" or similar things. All the department stores have sales as do all of the merchants (clothing stores, shoes stores etc.) Now is the time to get the French designer items usually at 50% off and more. And in the large department stores, salesmen and women will use portable microphones and speakers at certain locations and on certain products throughout the store. For example, perhaps they are at the Lacroix stand inside Printemps or Galeries Lafayette. They'll be going on and on on the microphone about the sales and then announce something like 'Ladies and Gentlemen for the next 15 minutes we will be offering this Lacroix evening jacket at another 20% off" -- and you will be rolled over by lots of little Parisian ladies grabbing the merchandise. Go now and shop. It's one of the best times of the year. Lucky you!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:12 PM
glo

Thank you Eye Spy!
I am so looking forward to my first trip to Paris and being there for the sales(I'll be there in 2 weeks) is just icing on the cake.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:16 PM
StCirq

Before you get too, too, excited, glo, the winter sales in Paris are certainly something to check out, but right now the dollar is low and the sales have never really offered huge bargains, anyway, especially if it's clothing or department-store stuff you're looking for. I have gotten excited over winter sales in Paris before only to realize that even at the sale prices, I'd be paying more for something than I would at home - especially considering in the USA we have places like Marshall's and TJMaxx and Target and other discount stores. Don't want to burst your bubble, but also don't want you heading to Paris thinking there's an enormous discount experience awaiting you.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
glo

Thank you StCirq,
You didn't burst my bubble. I'm still looking forward to my trip.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
Christina

I think I read they are scheduled to start January 8th this year and continue until Feb. 5th. Definitely when you will be there. I've bought a few things at them (summer version), but the prices aren't that low, I do much better at the sales in the US dept. stores (especially last couple of years). So, if you see something really unusual or special, okay, but don't expect too much. I think I've seen some decent deals on Italian leather goods, for example, in comparison to US, but not lingerie, that's for sure (which was still much more than I'd pay here for similar quality). I don't buy designer goods, however, so perhaps that's a deal.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:41 AM
jetset

I just got back from Paris spending Christmas in the south and New Year's in Paris.
I have shopped at Samaritaine dept. store, Printemps, Le Bon Marche and Tati.
Tati is like Kmart/Walmart type but enjoyed rummaging their blouses , scarves at a lowest price. I was able to buy scarf at $4.99 and some for $1.49. I bought some nice party tops at Samaritaine as they offer 10% discount for tourist. Le Bon Marche is a very classy dept. store, did not buy clothes there but their pastries are to die for.
Check out Monoprix also, bought a watch and toiletries to take home.