Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona to Madrid to Andalusia to Majorca-ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, My friends and I are going to start in Barcelona, then head to Madrid then down to Andalusia (with a possible day trip to Tangiers) and then end in Majorca. Can we get it all done if we leave Barcelona on a Tuesday and leave Majorca on the following Sunday (almost two weeks).
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM

'get it all done' - sounds like you consider it a chore.
It will depend on whether you want to enjoy the trip and what you want to see and do in these places on your wish list,(you will lose about two days in travelling). Most especially what do you want from Andalucia, a region greater in size than many countries in Europe.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for such a kind, informative response, WomBatt
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM

I would spend at least 3 days in Barcelona, 1 day for travelling, 3 days in Madrid, 1 day for travelling and 5 days in Andalucia, makes 13 days total, which means, you do not have time for Mallorca.

I would not travel to Andalucia between May and October. So if you consider this timeframe then skip Andalacia and fly to Mallorca instead.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks traveller1959. Why skip Andalucia? The heat?
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Andalucia gets really hot in summer. But it's also a very big region like wombat said. It's like saying you wanted to visit Boston, DC, and Vermont. You could add either Sevilla or Granada to Madrid and Barcelona. But you won't see that much of Andalucia. In summer, Granada will be "a bit" cooler due to its higher elevation than Sevilla. Emphasis is on "a bit".

Barcelona 3 days
travel 1/2 day to Madrid (the train does not even need 3hrs)
Madrid 2.5 days
travel 1/2 day to Granada
Granada 1.5 days
fly to Mallorca (1/2 day)
Mallorca 3.5 days

If that is enough time in each location, is for you to decide.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:20 PM

No - you don;t have time to see all of those places. And Andalusia can be unvearabley hot inthe summer - often more than 100 degrees for amny days in a row (and modest places may not have AC).

Also - you order makes no sense - Mallorca is nearer Barcelona - why go all the way south to come back north again?

I think you will have to make some choices to actually see much anywhere (we have done andalusia twice - once for 10 days and once for 12- and still have a lot to see).
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy 1968. Based on you and nytraveler, it sounds like skipping Toledo and Sevilla on this trip might be the option and go to Granda. I know Mallorca is not on the direct route but the group decided to end the vacation on a beachy note and it's only an hour or so flight from Seville or Granada.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM

When is this trip?
It seems a shame to go to Andalucia too must visit Granada and skip Sevilla. If your group is looking for a beach getaway there are many other places on the mainland I'd prefer to visit for 3.5 days then Mallorca especially if it means skipping such gems as Toledo and Sevilla.
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

CathyM, we will be leaving Barcelona on June 19th and flying home from mallorca on July 1 (that decision is made). i have come up with a quicker than ideal way to see them all in one trip but when you don't know when you will be back, I am going for seeing a bit is better than not at all.

Leave Barcelona Tues morning to Madrid – 2.5 days with third day a travel to Seville

Leave Madrid Friday at some point for Seville – 2.-5 -3 days with third day a travel to Granada (possible day trip to Cordoba)

Leave Monday at some point for Granada

Leave Wed on Noon flight to Mallorca
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Sounds like a lot of work and stressfull traveling. I suppose it can be done but it doesn't sound like fun to me.