10 days in Spain..help with itinerary

Aug 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

10 days in Spain..help with itinerary

Hi,
Need help. Spending 10 days in Spain in December & have decided to do Madrid (with Segovia as a day trip), Granada (with Antequera as a day trip) and Barcelona (with Tarragona as a day trip).

Here are my questions.
a) Instead of Granada, any other place that I could go to.

b) I am planning my Segovia trip from Madrid on Christmas Day. Should I book my tickets in advance. I ve heard that Spain is virtually shut on 25th Dec & 31st Dec. Hope that wont be a problem travelling to Segovia.

c) Any other suggestions anyone would like to give regarding day trips...as in any other places I should visit?

d) I will be travelling by bus or train - so any suggestion from Madrid to wherever & then back to Barcelona has to be done by train/bus.

So, basically, if I were to go to Spain once in my life, which are the 3 places that I must absolutely go to. Since it's a once a life trip, needless to say, I'd like to taste the diversity of the country as best as possible in 10 days.

Thanks.
Aug 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM

You are covering a lot in 10 days, although people here have done it. Spain is a big country. Every time you change cities you will lose half a day and more if you are traveling by bus/train.
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

well, I have 3 days in Madrid, 3 days in Granada and 4 days in Barcelona.
Day trips will happen only if I have the time.
Yes, I know 10 days are too less to do justice to a country like Spain..or for that matter, any country, but what to do...that's the best I have for the time being!

I will be travelling from Madrid to granada by bus (about 5 hrs gone),and from Granada to Barcelona by the night train. That's the plan as of now.

So again, one place in Spain to absolutely visit, apart from Madrid & Barcelona, that is connected by train/bus from Madrid - which one will it be?
Aug 15th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Toledo! also a daytrip from Madrid. Actually, I think your allocation of days is wrong. Madrid vicinity requires a minimum of 4-days, and you can do Barcelona in 3-days, But that's just my opinion.
Aug 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM

I agree with the above comment, but I tend to like Madrid and Toledo more than Barcelona. To me, much of the attraction of Barcelona is its seaside location, and since December won't be a time for lingering on the beach, I think you can get most of your sightseeing done in fewer days. I've never been to Tarragona, but if I were looking for a day trip outside of Barcelona to see more of Spain, I might consider Girona.

You should at least check into the cost of cheap flights in Spain -- which are some of the cheapest in the world, and the airports of Barcelona and Madrid have great, rapid access to the cities. I think you do need to book some of your travel in advance because Spanish familes want to be together on the holidays, and they often need to travel to do that, so seats can get scarce.

On the upside, traveling during Christmas means you will have a chance to see gloriously decorated cathedrals and high masses sung. I would try to track down some great choir singing or chanting in that time frame.

Have fun!

Aug 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Even though I loved Barcelona, if I were going to Spain for the first time and only had ten days and was going in December I'd skip Barcelona. My favorite area (and I've been to all the places you mention) is Andalucia, and I know many people feel the same. It is very hot in summer, but in December it should be very nice. I would do four days Mardrid, with day trips to Toledo and Segovia; four days Sevilla, with a day trip to Cordoba (or three nights Sevilla and one Cordoba) and then three in Granada. Those are all easily linked with trains/buses, and none of the trips more than three hours (Cordoba to Granada is three hours, the rest are about an hour or so). If you would like some photos to help you decide mine are at www.pbase.com/annforcier

I understand your desire to have a taste of as much of Spain as possible, but there is something to be said for spending more time in one area, even if it means skipping something. For example I did ten days in Andalucia alone and still I want to go back. I had two full weeks in the Madrid/central Spain area. But whatever you do you will have a wonderful time.
Aug 15th, 2008, 04:39 AM
GBC

Hi SASHA,

I think that the itinerary outlined by Isabel is a good one. Particularly because it includes Seville but also because it will has many of the highlights and it will keep your travel/connection time to a minimum.

Spain will not disappoint. Have a great trip.
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I would also suggest Seville - gorgeous city. Is there a particular reason you are considering going to Antequera? It is a fine place but in such a short trip it wouldn´t be on any list of mine. It is also some distance from Granada.

Re Xmas - I can only speak of Seville but it certainly doesn´t close on 25th and 31st - unlike the parts of the world I have spent more time in, namely Australia and UK. Xmas day almost everything was open as usual - by that I mean restaurants etc, not sure about attractions. NYE the restaurants were open but mostly booked out for dinner.
Aug 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Hiding behind others, I would also recommend Sevilla for your itinerary, with a day trip to Cordoba, especially since the fast train is so convenient. You are also in a better position (somewhat) to go to the Alhambra. You should look into flying out of Granada back to Madrid.

I seldom discourage people from going to Barcelona only because I dislike the city, so don't feel qualified to judge what others might like about it. But for December, it really does make sense to go to Sevilla and see Cordoba too.
Aug 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Hi Sasha;

I agree with several of the posting in that Seville is must to see.

I've been to Spain 6 times and love and visited Barcelona every time. There is a lot to see ; Gaudi, Olypmic village, Palau Musica, Gothic churches and park, not to mention the tapa bars. The shopping is great too!

Enjoy !