Barcelona City Pass

Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona City Pass

Does anyone have any feedback on the Barcelona City Pass? Is it worth it? What seems attractive to me is the skip the line entry at Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. Also there is a 1 or 2 day Bus Turistic pass (hop on/off bus). Also included is a two-way ticket on the airport transport Aerobus. Is this a good way to get from the airport to hotel?

I'm considering the Barcelona City Pass over the Barcelona Card. Any thoughts on that also?
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 06:26 PM
kja

Skipping the line can be a great idea, but FWIW, I am very, very glad that I had reservations for my time at the Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, too, for that matter.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've just got back from Barcelona. Other forums didn't really recommend either the pass or the card - the general impression was that not worth the money.
the T-10 public transport pass works out at €1.02 per journey (including changes) and transport links are very good.
The Sagrada Familia tickets can be bought online - they give a timed entry in 15 minute slots. We had no problems showing the tickets on our smart phones, and there was a short line through an airport like security scanner.
A tip I got from elsewhere - the audio tour is expensive at €7 - there is a very good tour for Android and iPhones from MUSMon.com for less than half that, and it is excellent.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks willit for the advice.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 09:37 AM

What Willit said. ^^^^
I also just got back from Barcelona. Buy the t-10 card! Metro is SO easy and convenient. We never waited more than 4min for a train. Take the train from the airport right into Barcelona. Easy and cheap.

We were thoroughly unimpressed with the HO-HO bus. Overpriced and underwhelming. Sagrada Familia is 100% worth the $. You really must pre-book SF and Parc Güell so you get timed entrance at both. Speaking of, give yourself a good cushion of time to get through security at SF and to get to the proper entrance to enter Park Güell. We walked briskly straight uphill 10-15min just to enter the Parc grounds. Entrance was another 5-10 walk from there, and then you get in line with everyone else with the same timed entrance. They give you a 30min cushion-and will turn you away if you miss it. We saw it happen and the people were told that the next available entrance times were 3hrs in the future. Both venues were insanely crowded, and I hate the thought of going on vacation to stand on line. At SF we did the Towers tour and the price included the audio guide. Good luck and enjoy!
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Below is our 2015 Spain Trip Report (with photos). It will give you some good hints on what you should pre-book. We took a taxi to Parc Güell. Saved the uphill walk and taxis are cheap in Barcelona. Our favorite sight was Hospital de Sant Pau (aka Sant Pau Recinte Modernista…Modernist Complex). Take the guided tour ... well worth the effort ... straight up from La Sagrada Familia.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/

Old Mar 27th, 2019, 10:33 AM

I second Hospital de Sant Pau! It is a beautiful campus.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

or2nh4me2 thank you for your recommendations. Did you stay in an apartment and if so do you have a recommendation. Or recommendation on neighborhood to stay in. I’m thinking either El Born or Eixample. We will likely be in Barcelona for 2 weeks so want to ensure we have a good spot.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

maitaitom I came across your trip report already and had already started reading it. You have a great sense of humor and I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far. I am still looking for recommendations on accommodations and neighborhoods. So any advice would be welcomed.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks melaly. We stayed at Hotel Colon, which is across the street from the Cathedral. There was some deal we got, if I remember. Room overlooked Cathedral. We liked that area, close to walk to a number of places and a taxi stand about a block away. The hotel was fine (nothing spectacular ... expensive breakfast which we skipped ... lots of places nearby to get coffee and a pastry). I think if we get to Barcelona again, we might stay in L’Eixample. We had a meal there, and it looked like a pretty area. Hopefully some of the folks who've stayed in L’Eixample will have a recommendation.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by melaly
or2nh4me2 thank you for your recommendations. Did you stay in an apartment and if so do you have a recommendation. Or recommendation on neighborhood to stay in. I’m thinking either El Born or Eixample. We will likely be in Barcelona for 2 weeks so want to ensure we have a good spot.
melaly We travel pretty economically so we stayed in the Les Corts/Sants-Montjuïc area. Sounds like you want to be closer, but let me know if you do want a recommendation. We were very happy with the apartment and area!