Barcelona - Quick and Cheap!

Jan 13th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona - Quick and Cheap!

Hi all

myself and 4 others are off to barcalona for 2 nights in march. I'm after the best budget places to stay - hostel Opera and Hostal/hotel Jardi have been recommended so far and how to go about booking them (having trouble finding websites etc). Also any recommendatiosnon must see's and do's? we arrive in the afternoon on a monday and leave on the morning of teh wednesday so its a short trip!

Thanks
Laney
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Hi,

www.hoteljardi.com. Note, however, that they don't seem to answer if you fill out the online reservation form, so you should call them. # on website.

Hostal Opera, Phone: 00 34 93 318 8201). Doesn't seem to have a website.

Next month I'm staying at Hostal Palacios - www.hostalpalacios.com, which is a little more expensive but still very reasonable.

As for what to do (this is Maribel's great suggestion, which I plan to follow):

Take the Barcelona Bus Turistic: This a great way to see all the highlights with minimal hassle. A double decker bus takes two routes and makes 27 stops. It hits all the major sights. Gaudí's Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, Park Guell, the Gothic quarter, the hilltop Tibidabo Park, etc. For 15 euros you get a day's access to the bus, a packet that includes The Official Map of Barcelona, a discount coupon book and a guide in six languages explaining many of the stops. You get off at whatever stops you wish and just pick up the next bus whenever you choose to leave. They run all day about every 20 minutes. The price does not include admission to the sites, but it does give discount coupons for many of them, so get the tickets when you first get there. For four euros more (18 euros) you can use your pass for two consecutive days, and I would recommend this. There is way too much to see on the bus tour in one afternoon. If you do get a one-day pass, start early, because many of the sights close around 5 or 6 p.m. Several spots are hard to get to using the Metro (Park Guell and Montjuic).

Karen
Jan 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that Karen - really helpful. The itinery looks fab. have a great time!

laney
Jan 13th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Kaudrey, Have you stayed at Hostal Palacios before? I was looking at Hotel Meson Castilla for 122 euros/night. But the location of the hotel you recommend looks good as well. With the you-know-what so low, and the amount we are actually in the room, I am trying to economize, wherever possible. Got any thoughts?
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Hi Laneycakes,

I just got back from Barcelona last night - we stayed at the 2 star Hostal Girona for two nights & loved it. I'm afraid I don't have time just now, but I will try to post more details over the weekend. In the meantime, you can find their website at www.hostalgirona.com.

Like Kaudrey, I couldn't get any response from the Jardi & was unable to find a site for the Opera. If you have a look at www.tripadvisor.com you'll also find independent reviews of accomodation in Barcelona.

As I say, I will try to post more details ASAP.

JJ
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks all - and JJBhoy i'll check out the website for the girona

Laney
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:40 AM

wren - no, this will be my first trip to Spain. I am leaving in 2 weeks and will be back in 4. I'll write a trip report that will include reviews of my hotels, so be on the lookout.

The location seems to be great, one block from Placa Catalunya, so we'll see!

Karen
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:26 PM

No problem, Laneycakes.

You may have seen it already, but just case - if you click on my name above this message you'll find my trip report.

Jim
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:38 PM

We stayed at Hostal Palacios in October and loved it. Great location and owner.
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Anton..would love more details on your stay at Hostal Palacios..which room do you recommend. If you get an outside room, what does it overlook? Is it on a noisy street? Where exactly is it located? Anything else you can think of? Thanks
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Anton - that's great to hear! Thanks! I am leaving in 10 days and can't wait.

canuck - if you look at their website, www.hostalpalacios.com, you can see a map. It is about 1 block up and over from Placa Catalunya.

Karen
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone so much. at the moment its a toss up between Hostal Girona and hostal palacios. kind wish we were staying more than 2 nights now! thanks all!

Laney
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

doh!

forgot to ask - i'm assuming the rooms at both places (particularly hostal girona) come with linen? for some reason my mate who's coming on the trip has it in her head that not all of the budget places do! Ta! Laney
Feb 1st, 2004, 06:14 AM

Hi Laney,

Don't worry - linen shouldn't be a problem at the Girona. When you're deciding between the two it might be helpful to note that although the Girona is well located, the Palacios does seem to be just that little bit more central - maybe a couple of blocks closer to the Placa Catalunya. No doubt Karen will reveal all when she returns!

Jim
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice - Girona has been booked so i'll let you know how i got on....just 3 weeks to go!!

Thanks

Laney
Aug 12th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Laney, I am seeking a value-priced hotel for a spring trip to Barcelona. How did you like your experience at the Hostal Girona?
Thanks.
Trish
Aug 21st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Hostal Girona was great - really nice big rooms...Our room was in the main bit of the hostal - the only interesting thing was the bathroom...we had a shower in the room but there was no door although it was round the croener from the entrance - not a problem but might put some people off. A friend had a room up a level which was even bigger and had a balcony. very impressive entrance as well with a really sweet antique type lift. I'd recommend. you also get your own key to come and go as you please as there is no 24 hr reception which is great. Enjoy!
Aug 21st, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

oooh and the loo is down the hall - which was fine.

the hostal's about a max 10 min stroll from the placa de catalunya/las ramblas