Barcelona City Pass - Worth It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Barcelona for the first time. Would like to know the must-see highlights and whether the Barcelona City Pass--which includes a hop on, hop off bus, is a good idea for a first-time visitor who does not know the city.

Opinions on what I absolutely, totally have to see, and if the City Pass is my best way to see the essential tourist stops.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 09:33 AM

I think the hopon/off bus in Barcelona is good for a day as the city is relaly spread out and some areas are pretty far out. I enjoyed it for the views, also, and to get out to the area where the Miro museum is and the Catalonian art museum. I didn't use it for Parc Guell, I imagine it goes up that way? It's not as convenient in the very dense town area near the cathedral, of course, and not necessary there, I think I got off it for good around there. It goes up pg de Gracia where some of those Gaudi buildings are, also.

I didn't buy that pass, though, just the daily bus ticket. Also, that pass includes a transit ticket and I just bought whatever I wanted there myself the regular way (I think a pass for 10 trips or something). YOu'd have to look, I can't imagine buying that pass myself as it is so expensive and I would not hardly use any of the things you are paying for. So I personally don't think it is a good idea, no. It includes all kinds of things that are not first-timer must-sees. It's about 125 euro! If you want to do the hopon/off bus one day, which I did like, it's only 30 euro.
https://www.holabarcelona.com/ticket...p-off-bus-tour
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 08:14 PM

How long are you going?

Why are you going?

When are you going?

There are no essential stops in any city. There are only things you find interesting.

With all that out of the way.

Most people will think

Sagrada Familia. Needs to be booked in advance. You may want to include the tower climb. You might not. The city views aren't that exciting.

La Boqueria market.

In general La Rambla street.

placa espanya

The beach.

Placa reial

barri gotic

But often you can just turn a corner and see something of interest. Or depending on when there might be an event.

I'm not a big fan of hop on hop off buses. Obviously they won't take you down the pedestrian only streets but in general they keep you distant from the city.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I have been researching costs and areas covered, with quite a bit of overlap in the various "pass" options. I will probably do the hop on/hop off as it is an easy way to get to the sights I want to see (and some I do not)--either way, it looks like a nice way to see the city.

I have transit maps, metro maps and the routes of the hop on/hop off. Now to decide what to buy beforehand and what to buy while there.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the list of sights to see.

Now that I have collected information on how to get around in Barcelona, I will use your list to see how many of them I can reach with ease.

Tentative date is outbound from US on Oct 16th. Strictly a tourist with a map and the usual curiosity.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
There's lots more sights than that. Here is my 2015 Spain Trip report (link below). Chapters One Through Five are about Barcelona (lots of photos, too). It will also give you insight on what tickets to purchase before you leave (Sagrada Familia for one). You don't need hop on/hop off bus. Taxis are cheap.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/

Old Oct 8th, 2019, 05:06 PM
kja

Originally Posted by maitaitom
There's lots more sights than that.
I agree! A good guidebook would serve you exceedingly well, IMO.

Originally Posted by maitaitom
You don't need hop on/hop off bus. Taxis are cheap.
I agree with that, too -- except that I didn't use a taxi even once when in Barcelona -- I found the metro and buses perfectly adequate when walking wasn't -- and I walked to almost everything.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 05:55 AM

It is better environmentally to use a bus than get a taxi just for yourself, not to mention what that contributes unnecessarily to traffic congestion. I can't imagine why you would need to use a taxi in Barcelona, except maybe to get to/from the airport or train station with luggage. I don't understand the comment about how the hopon/off bus keeps you distant from the city. If it means you are only with tourists, that's true. You can't get the views of the city you get from that when taking the metro, for example, or even walking. I think it is convenient in the outer areas and broad boulevards, and as a tourist, you aren't in a hurry (like a commuter would be). I think even Maribel, who is an expert, has said that is a good idea in Barcelona. I don't think it works in some cities, and usually not in the very dense areas of city historical areas, as I said, but Barcelona is pretty big and spread out and it works fine in certain parts of it.

In any case, I really object to people taking taxis or Ub ers or any private car when they don't need to for no reason as to what that does to the environment.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We also walked virtually everywhere, too, however we did take a taxi from Hotel Colon to Parc Guell, and we were happy we did. We also took a taxi to dinner across town in a driving rain, and I do not feel guilty about it.

Old Oct 9th, 2019, 06:50 PM

A bus is basically a large tin can. The glass and metal isolates you. You're also elevated a certain amount. The bus whizzes along faster than most people walk. The bus takes you on it's route.

Walking you stop when you want. You take the turn you want. You retrace your steps if you want. You bump into people. Literally and figuratively.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

As a rule, I rarely take taxis in foreign cities, preferring instead to use public transport, or to walk. (Although I think a taxi is justified, as in the post about going to dinner in a driving rain) But, as everyone has pointed out, Barcelona is spread out. I will use the Metro for quick, point A to B trips, but I would rather be above ground, looking around. Yes, I could plot my own route via underground and public bus, but as the Hop On/Off is going to the most popular sights, I plan to use it and literally "Hop On And Off" when I see something fascinating and then walk to it.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 07:37 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Jimmyboy418
Yes, I could plot my own route via underground and public bus, but as the Hop On/Off is going to the most popular sights, I plan to use it and literally "Hop On And Off" when I see something fascinating and then walk to it.
Are you paying attention to which sites of potential interest are recommended for, or which require, advance reservations?
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
It is better environmentally to use a bus than get a taxi just for yourself, not to mention what that contributes unnecessarily to traffic congestion. I can't imagine why you would need to use a taxi in Barcelona, except maybe to get to/from the airport or train station with luggage. I don't understand the comment about how the hopon/off bus keeps you distant from the city. If it means you are only with tourists, that's true. You can't get the views of the city you get from that when taking the metro, for example, or even walking. I think it is convenient in the outer areas and broad boulevards, and as a tourist, you aren't in a hurry (like a commuter would be). I think even Maribel, who is an expert, has said that is a good idea in Barcelona. I don't think it works in some cities, and usually not in the very dense areas of city historical areas, as I said, but Barcelona is pretty big and spread out and it works fine in certain parts of it.

In any case, I really object to people taking taxis or Ub ers or any private car when they don't need to for no reason as to what that does to the environment.
Thank you for your input. On this four-day trip, I used the HoHo bus to orient myself with my list of what I wanted to see, and then used it again to hop off at those destinations and walked. I also used the Metro around town, and the AeroBus to/from the airpor--and once, after being out late to dinner and strolling on Las Ramblas, I took a taxi to my not convenient hotel. But, primarily, I walked and walked and walked.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
How long are you going?

Why are you going?

When are you going?

There are no essential stops in any city. There are only things you find interesting.

Most people will think

Sagrada Familia. Needs to be booked in advance. You may want to include the tower climb. You might not. The city views aren't that exciting.

La Boqueria market.

placa espanya

The beach.

Placa reial

barri gotic

But often you can just turn a corner and see something of interest. Or depending on when there might be an event.

I'm not a big fan of hop on hop off buses. Obviously they won't take you down the pedestrian only streets but in general they keep you distant from the city.
After my airline re-booked my flight owing to civil unrest in Barcelona, I spent 4 days there in late October.

From you suggesttions...

https://www.fodors.com/community/sho...0#post16996320
Posted by: Traveler_Nick
On: Oct 4th, 2019 09:14 PM

Most people will think

Did not make a reservation, I just showed up and was inside within 10 minutes. I spend almost four hours inside this awsome structure.
La Boqueria market.
Ate there, bought walk-around food. A great place.
Of course. I always wanted to ramble on Las Ramblas, so I did!
placa espanya
Very impressive. Grand.
The beach.
Saw lots of it, and went swimming in the Med. Brisk but worth it.
Placa reial
Yes.
barri gotic
Walked it back and forth, stopping to look in anything that was open.

Thank You!