bancotel/petrabax coupons - for real?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

: I am planning a trip to spain in June with plans to hit madrid, Barcelona, Seville and the costa del sol. I am staying at some 3 to4 star hotels, but was looking to really splurge for 2 nights in Seville. A place like the Alfonso XIII in Seville costs in the 300 Euro plus range (out of my league) but is also available from Bancotel for 3 coupons (150 Euros). Is this for real? What's the catch? For these prices, I would be living in style for barely more than what I am paying for hotels of lower calibre. Anybody have any experience with this? And if I want to stay for 2 nights for 6 coupons, where do I get the solo coupon from (seems they are sold in books of 5).
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 03:07 PM

jtanne,

We used Petrabax.com for our hotels in our last trip to Spain, and yes, they are for real. I think the only catch is that some hotels only honor the coupons for certains nights. I worked with Luis (they have an 800 number--I like to actually talk to people and he's from Spain, so he had some very good advise).

Also, Petrabax charges a $25 delivery fee, but if you're buying 6 coupons, it's worth it. It's also my understanding that you can only purchase coupons in demoninations of 5 from Bancotel directly, and also, I'm not sure how they work if you purchase them in the U.S. (Anyone?)

But yes, they are for real, and I found out about them because of Fodors!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Here's your thread from yesterday:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34487081
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM

jtanne, I used Bancotel vouchers this past Fall for the Ritz in Barcelona--150 euro per night vs over 250. I was skeptical, but based on the testimoninals of all my fellow Fodorites, I decided to try. I bought my vouchers and booked the reservations through Bancotel's website directly. I picked up the vouchers at the first hotel of my itinerary. Make sure you print all the reservation details plus the receipt for the vouchers to be picked up to avoid any problems.

People sometimes sell their extra tickets if you need to buy them (I got around that by booking other hotels in other cities through Bancotel so as to reach an even number of 10 vouchers in total)
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:55 AM

We used bancotel vouchers on our trip to spain in 2001 without any problems.
We paid $150 for Gran Melia Don Pepe in Marbella (usually about $250 per night). We got our vouchers through the travel agent here in US>
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

OK in that case i do feel more comfortable. Since i live in Canada, I would have to book through Bancotel (Petrabax sells only to the USA). I am left with the 6 voucher problem. Does anyone have a single they would like to sell me?