Ballynahinch Castle or The Quay House

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We currently have reservations at the Quay House in Clifden but are seriously rethinking that we may want to change our reservation to the Ballynahinch Castle instead. We've read good things about both, however. We leave next week for Ireland so would truly appreciate any immediate input on the pros and cons of either and which place would provide us with a more memorable and enjoyable stay.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:36 AM

I can really only give you one side since we have stayed at the Quay House twice. But I have read enough about Ballynahinch to think the two offer vastly different experiences.

At the Quay House we have always stayed in what they call the "studios" which are large rooms with sitting areas, very nice and well equipped bathrooms and a small kitchnette with refrigerator, sink etc. The kitchenette is a separate room, not part of the bedroom. Paddy and Julia Foyle are perfect hosts---willing to offer suggestions or leave you alone and serving a fabulous breakfast, more "upscale" than many offered in small establishments. Quay House is and easy five minute walk into Clifden which offers an array of restaurants and pubs for the evening. I would characterize Quay House as sort of an elegantly quirky townhouse place----nicely decorated bedrooms, very comfortable sitting rooms on the first floor and a lovely glass-walled breakfast room.

I beleive that Ballynahinch is a much grander establishment but also much more isolated---sort of when you are there, you are there. Hopefully someone with first-hand experience will respond. How many nights are you planning? Could you split the time and experience both?
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:49 AM

I have not stayed in Ballynahinch castle itself, but in some private apartments in the gounds. The grounds of the castle are wonderful, I used to walk through them every morning and it is one of my treasured memories. It is situated about 10-15 minutes drive from Clifden, so it is just on the edge. The food is good, from what I remember and there is a nice bar.

My own personal preference would be to stay outside of Clifden, rather than in it, but I never like staying in towns.

regards .. Ger
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

We plan to stay for two nights. If we are looking for a truly memorable experience, do you think we would achieve that at the Castle or the Quay House? Our style normally is to want to stay at the more grander place, but we've also learned that a more personalized, quaint place, perhaps like Quay House, can provide the more memorable experience. We've also heard the grounds of the castle are spectacular, and therefore we were leaning toward to staying there b/c our thinking was the grandness of the place would surpass the quaintness of the Quay House. What do others think? Any thoughts/comments would greatly be appreciated. We would need to alter our reservation by June 1st if we are going to stay at the castle. Please comment by then. Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM

Why not do both? I night in Clifden Village at the Quay house and 1 nigth at the castle. Personally I think the Castle is a bit isolated. The grounds are amazing to walk in (We did but stayed in Clifden Village) You can experience the area without having to stay there. There is more to doo in Clifden but if you want peace and quiet Ballinahinvh is ideal.

How about Abbey Glen Castle in Clifden? The food is great and the location is in Clifden and a 5 minute walk to the village.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:07 AM
amelia

We stayed in the Quay House on a biking trip and visited Ballynahinch Castle (and used the restroom there) on one of our biking routes. Yes, this is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Our room at the Quay House was not fabulous, and the experiences of our group varied widely. The lack of air conditioning in last summer's European heat wave was certainly a problem for some of the guests who had to stay on the top floor.

Our breakfast was simply divine. Paddy and Julia belong to the extended Foyle family--the entire family is involved in some way in the hotel/restaurant business--and they enjoy their guests.

At the same time we were there with our tour, Butterfield and Robinson biking group was staying at Ballynahinch. We got to talk with some of them. While they loved their accomodations, they were frustrated they were staying outside of town. Our biking group made use of the town--we had a lovely time there.

I think one of SiobhanP's suggestions--looking for an alternative place to stay inside Clifden--is a good idea to consider. I would never split up your stay, though. I don't know about you, but "one-nighters" on the road become awfully tiresome--prefer two- and three-night stays.

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:45 AM

Amelia,

What was wrong with the room other than no airconditioning?? I am thinking of booking us in this weekend!

How is the cycle to Ballinahinch for novices? We just bought bikes this weekend and wanted to test them out with a cycle outside Clifden.

We have stayed in Clifden a lote over tha past three years but Never in the quay house.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:58 AM
amelia

Our room was on the bottom floor, so the air conditioning wasn't that much of a problem. The spiders were.

Bathroom was huge.

Decor was shabby chic. Very interesting place. Breakfast room was a huge atrium that had a vine from outside creeping into it.

We had two days of biking from Clifden. The first took us on a loop down to Roundstone. I took the long route option back via Ballyvahinch. The second day we took in Sky Rd.

Sky Road is gorgeous to bike. Incline from town up to it is a bit much for novices. However, I've never felt embarrassed to walk my bike up a hill--gives me more time to take in the view!