Driving info in Italy

Search

Driving info in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving info in Italy

I'm planning to drive around Tuscany with a rental car. Do we need special license to drive in Italy? Which side is driver's side in Italy? Any tips on road trip in Italy?
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Hi Jam,

No, no special license, same side as the US...and tips? Drive VERY VERY fast, cuz everyone else will be!

As you're going to visit many hilltop towns in Tuscany, no doubt, I'd advise you to park at the bottom and hike up, as driving, parking, navigating narrow winding streets can be stressful! Don't leave anything of value within the car, and especially in plain view.

Regards,

Melodie
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Driving in italy - and in europe in general is to a much higher standard then in the US. Most drivers are fairly expert, take ti seriusly and expect others to do the same.

Speeds are quite a bit higher than in the US - the highway limit is over 80 and drivers routinely cruise at around 100. Never ever drive in the left lane. As in the US the left lane is for passing only - but whereas the rule is generally ignored here it is taken very seriously in europe. As soon as you have passed a vehicle move immediately back to the right. (If you don;t there will likely be someone bearing down on you at 100+ with lights flashing and horns blaring until you move.)

Also note that cars are generally much smaller, are almost all standard transmission, and parking spaces are very small - barely bigger than the car - and almost all parallel parking - little head in.

That said - I find the driving conditions much better - you rarely find the road clogged by people blithering along at 45 while they're talking, eating and yelling at their kids.

As long as you''re a confident driver with a reasonable amount of expertise you'll be fine.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
rex

A road trip in Tuscany might not involve the autostrada very much if any - - so don't be overly intimidated by the comments about drivers routinely exceeding 100 mph (i.e., 160 kph) - - that doesn't happen on country roads, of course.

If you are driving the main autostrade (i.e., the Florence-Rome, the Florence-Bologna or the Florence-Genoa), then be aware of your own driving limitations before you go trying to emulate those fast cars. I recommend not exceeding 140 kph until you have one full day (or at least two full hours) experience under your belt - - and take the comments above, about "blathering along" rather seriously - - to drive over 160 kph requires concentration. For me, that literally means no radio, no conversation in the car; in my own case, that basically means it is not appropriate for family travel.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM

I rented a car for 4 days in April, picked it up in Florence as we were leaving town, and returned it to Rome. During those 4 days we visited Lucca, Siena, drove to the coast, and visited several hill towns. We actualy stayed in San Gimignano for 3 nights (I don't suggest staying there). Driving the tuscan countryside was wonderful, the roads were all good, and everyone drove at a reasonable speed. Finding a parking place was a challenge, regardless of where we were, as were the narrow streets. The autostrada was, well it was fast! After an hour or so the white knuckles went away. The best advice I can think of is to get a really good map, and spend some time reviewing it before heading out each day. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:13 PM

"As in the US the left lane is for passing only"

Actually, this is true in very few states . . mostly in the NE.

Rich
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Obeying the rules is always the only consideration in driving anywhere.

In Europe, there are a lot of fast drivers, but generally, they are more sensible in the open highways than those you will find in the US.

There's no such thing as knowing how fast you can drive after 2 full hours or a full day's experience. You can drive as fast as the other drivers as long as you're comfortable with your driving skills and in your car's controls, it's cornering abilities and overall handling and your familiarity or unfamilarity with the roads. Just drive within your own limits without being a road nuisance and make sure to stay in your proper/appropriate lane. There's nothing wrong with driving slower than the others as long as you are on your proper side/lane of the road.

European cars are specified and built for their roads and, as compared to US specs, are normally faster, more responsive and have exceptional handling abilities. They handle twists and turns with more ease than US cars and you will find that the driver's cockpit is geared more for ensuring driver's comfort and driving efficiency.

Driving between, in and around Tuscany hilltowsn can be a blast. Especially with the breathtaking sceneries and the fun ande excitement of driving in another country.

Make sure to relax, have a good navigator by you and enjoy your drives.

Old May 29th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Regarding the hilltowns....don't go inside the walls of the historic towns. The streets will be more narrowm and the parking will be almost non-existent. There wil be plenty of parking lots, just outside the walls surrounding the town.

In addition to a good map, a navigator will be a real help. The road signs can be very confusing..but you will quickly learn look for the blue or green signs and pay little attention to the brown signs.

I took this photo of a signpost in Montepulciano.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22802873
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:17 AM

JamJAM: Drivers do not routinely travel at 100mph,especially in the area you'll be driving. Stay to the right and you will be ok.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Rich -

Did not realize that the left lane rule holds only in the Northeast. Although even here it is routinely ignored - and I've had many people tell me they've never heard of it.

Also, you will generaly be more comfortable driving in europe if you currently have a smaller car - esp Japanes or european style built for handling - then if you drive a large american car or one of those huge sudden death vehicles.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM

No one has mentioned that you need an international driver's license to drive in Italy. It can be purchased at AAA.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:08 AM

This may help some. I have driven in Italy 12 times and have never had an Intl. drivers license. It is only a factor if stopped by the police.

DRIVING IN ITALY:

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps?study them in advance?and have a good NAVIGATOR.
* We have rented a car for 20 of our 22 trips to Europe. Our only mishap was a minor fender bender in a leased car, and that was in France.

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is AUTOEUROPE [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, full mandatory insurance coverage, and VAT taxes. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers?both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing?you should too.
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the on-coming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign ? SENSO UNICO? and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [rule of thumb?300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do not attempt to follow road numbers?that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA?SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:07 AM

We have driven all around Italy from one end to the other(and quite a bit in Tuscany). We find the driving a fun & easy way to get around. We don't follow a map in the conventional way (i.e. folloing highway/road names) we just follow the signs from one city/town to another and always find our way. Also, if you are on any Autostradas with tolls, make sure you get a ticket when you enter, this notes your entry point so they know how much to charge when you exit. We made the mistake our first time of not getting a ticket and were charged a fortune for the entire length of the road - lesson learned! Pull your car mirros in when you are going down narrow laneways - avoids scratches. Have fun.