Reload this Page >

Carrigeen Castle - Cashel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:57 AM
Phoebe

Has anyone stayed at Carrigeen Castle , near Cashel? <BR><BR>How close is it to the rock? Is it heated well ( will be there in April) . <BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
bill

Carrigeen gets mixed reviews. It is in the town of Cahir which is a short drive from Cashel. It is actually an old jail. Some peolple claim that the owner is a bit hard to deal with. I've never stayed there but if you go to irelandyes.com There were lots of entries about it. It's pretty cool looking from the outside. I'm sure the heat will be fine.<BR><BR>If you stay in Cahir, go to the castle. It is quite underrated and thus, not very crowded. <BR><BR>I'm sure others here have comments about it.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Phoebe

Bill - thanks<BR><BR>I wasn't sure if this was the one that used to be a jail or not. From what I see on IYes, the owner sounds a bit odd. <BR><BR>I think I will find something else. I would really rather be in Cashel anyway....<BR><BR>thanks for your input.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
cd

We stayed in a wonderful B&amp;B in Cahir. If you are interested it is Scaragh House, Mrs Patricia Devereaux email [email protected] Beautifully funished rooms ensuite and a great breakfast. We toured and enjoyed Cahir Castle before going to The Rock of Cashel.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:40 PM
bill

I second the Scaragh House recommendation. Patricia is hysterical. When were you there cd?<BR><BR>Bill

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:42 AM
kath

I've stayed at Carriggeen Castle twice. It is a short walk from town and the big castle. The owner does have some idiosyncracies - for example she is strict about when she will let you check in (4 to 6 pm ONLY!!) What I liked about the place is its location, and it does have a nice ambiance - I especially like the tower rooms. I've actually stayed there twice and enjoyed it each time. I wouldn't hesitate to go again....BUT if I had children I'd re-think that - she hates kids touching things and can be quite stern! Its a shame because kids would really love the castle at a budget price!

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill, Kath,

Having stayed at Carrigeen Castle several times, I can see why Mrs. Butler feels the need to be careful with kids. There are steps up and down into every room, a stone spiral staircase with rope banister, and I'm sure insurance is a consideration! We had outstanding accommodation every time, and hearty breakfasts, and good advice and where to eat and what to see. And I've seen other return business, always a good sign! Good touring location and neat building. Value for Money!!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi davidjay:

Since this thread started (in 2002), I've stayed there and liked it very much. Peig was quite pleasant to us and even suggested that we could have checked in early since it was our 1st day in Ireland. She does run a tight ship, but quite frankly, she runs it very much like an English B&amp;B which I find to be different than an Irish B&amp;B. It is a very good value and a very interesting old building.

Bill