Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance - too good to be true!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just found out that we are allowed two pieces of checked luggage 23kg each. we leave in 2 weeks
australia - san francisco flying Air New Zealand
San Fran - Calgary flying Air Canada
Calgary - Paris flying Air Canada
Paris - Frankfurt flying Lufthansa
Frankfurt - Rome flying Lufthansa
Rome - Australia flying Singapore Airlines
I have been researching this trip for nearly a year and was always under the impression and have been told by our travel agent that baggage allowance is 1 x 23kg bag each checked and 1 x 7kg bag each carry on.
thought I would just check NZ website to check that nothing has changed and I see we can have 2 x 23kg bags each checked. I even rang them to confirm this.
this is great we have 17kg of gifts & wine to give to friends along the way and was worrying about no room for clothes. problem solved we will take an extra soft bag so when gifts distributed we can lay the empty bag in the bottom of our case. this has made my day! now all you smart travellers would have already known this but to me well Im excited. just needed to share this with you all. first time international traveller a novice to travel & flying.
thanks for listening Kerry
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:44 AM
ira

Hi Kerry,

>told by our travel agent that baggage allowance is 1 x 23kg bag each checked and 1 x 7kg...

>thought I would just check NZ website

Did you also check the other airlines?

There is the slight possibility that your TA is correct.

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:20 AM

Definitely check with the specific airlines (for all of your connecting flights)... Also check with the airports that you will be connecting through.

Having travelled internationally many times myself I can tell you that the rule has always been (at least since the 80s): 2 pieces of checked luggage each person. The weight restrictions may have changed but other than that it's been the same.

Some countries (Great Britian) have some pretty strict carry-on restrictions that others do not.. so you may want to look into that as well. For example, flying out of the USA you can have a carry-on plus a "personal item" such as a purse, laptop computer, etc... Out of the UK you're allowed ONE carry-on period. This may not seem like much but it can be a major annoyance when you're waiting at the security check point in a foreign airport.

Like I said, just check with the specific airlines and airports that you'll be using... Pack your things according to the MOST restrictive.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:44 AM

2 pieces @ 23kg are the standard allowance for intercontinental flights. If you have one international flight in your ticket then the same allowance applies for all other flights (like intra-European flights).
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:17 AM

Kerry, you will be allowed 2 pieces each because you are flying via the US. Normal economy allowance for anywhere else is 1 bag, and limit of 20kg.I will be travelling from Brisbane to Paris in June via Singapore and I can only have 1 bag - when I went to the US in December I was allowed to have 2 pieces of checked luggage.
It makes a big difference especially if you want to do some shopping!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone I have checked all other airlines and I'm right.
thanks skylark pity you can't take an extra bag. normally I wouldn't want to lug around an extra bag but because we have so many presents and wine its come in very handy. we don't anticipate having the extra bag for the return journey not intending to buy too much (are they famous last words!)I will check with my travel agent on Monday though just to be double sure but Ive printed out the baggage allowance from each airline and it says 2 x 23kg each. my husband doesn't believe me but I'm right!!