Back to Ireland after 10 years! Some new, some old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t believe it’s been that long but it has. This year we were lucky enough to take a 3 1/2 week trip to Japan and covered most of the country. It was our second trip there in 3 years. My husband have decided next year would be a little less taxing with a shorter flight and more time in each location. This is what we’ve laid out so far and I can certainly use any input you’d have on the plan.

We’re flying round trip from Philadelphia to Dublin.

Day 1 land very early in Dublin
Day 2-4 Dublin

Day 5-7 rent a car and drive to Galway where we spend 3 nights

Day 8-12 drive to Clifden. This is one of our favorite areas and we’re staying at The Quay House.

Day 13 drive to Doolin for one night. I booked at the Doolin View.

Day 14-16 drive to Dingle for three nights. I booked a room at the Fab View. This may be long but I love the drives around there.

Day 17 drive to somewhere halfway or more to Dublin for our early afternoon flight out the next day.

Day 18 drive to Dublin airport, drop off car, and catch flight home.

I’ve never been to Dublin and have to figure out where to stay. I saw an earlier post about a bus trip from there to the Game of Thrones filming and other stops and that looked interesting.

I also dont have a good feel of where to stay overnight on our trip back to Dublin from Dingle. I’d like the second leg of that to be a short as makes sense.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 03:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice itinerary. I'd consider Tullamore for the mid way stop between Dingle and DUB. About 4 hours from Dingle and about 90 mins to DUB.

Lots to see in the area
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Kind of kitschy but kind of neat - Fungie the Dolphin - who supposedly swam into Dingle Bay years ago and hung around cavorting with folks; local fishermen have a cottage industry that takes folks out to meet, greet and play with the friendly dolphin - anyway for something different:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fung...iw=824&bih=884

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungie
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
How early does your flight land? We take aer lingus from MCO and land around 10 but still early for check-in. We do like Buswells since they will store luggage and we go over to the Museum, have lunch and then we can get into our rooms, shower, change and head back out. This next trip we are getting the train right away to Cork and doing Dublin for five nights on the return. We have landed and taken off for Belfast by bus from the airport before. We were able to leave luggage and catch a 1:00 pm black cab tour. We did the McCombs GOT tour one of our days there but really went for a motorcycle road race. We used the train and bus for the entire trip.
Where to spend the night. Tullamore dew has a great tour and have spent the night there. Moate is unique. I have stayed there twice at the Grand Hotel. Egan's pub is one of the best in Ireland.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks about mentioning Tullamore, that sounds like a good location.

My plane from Philadelphia lands at 5:30 am! Nuts I know, but it’s non stop and I live in the Philadelphia suburbs so that’s just the way it is. By the time we get into the hotel room I’ll be a zombie. I figure sleep for a few hours, get dinner, and crash.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have tips for where to stay in Galway? By the promenade or right downtown?

I’m thinking downtown.

Last edited by ceezee; Jun 10th, 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:02 AM

https://www.parkhousehotel.ie I just read a post on TA from a hotel person telling people that fly into Dublin at 5 am to book the night before if you want your room ready when you show up at 7 am. I agree. We booked a triple room last trip knowing my one freind was coming in a day later at 5 am. It was not needed as her flight was delayed and she never made it till noon but we thought it would be nice for her to take a nap, get a shower and change.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:31 AM

We stayed at The Spencer Hotel in Dublin - we couldn't get into our room early but they let us use their gym/sauna/spa facilities to shower and get refreshed - and they stored our luggage for us. Room was very nice - we stayed in Dublin for one night at the end of our trip as well at a different place (wanted free parking) but I really wish we had booked the Spencer again. Location was great - overlooking the Liffey.

We LOVED the Twelve Hotel ... on the outskirts of Galway. Downside is that you can't walk to Galway but lots of upsides - beautiful rooms, great restaurants and outdoor space. Walking distance to a little shopping area including a grocery store.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Also, if you can squeeze in a day trip to Inishmor when you are in Galway, it is well worth it. We took a ferry from Rossaveal which is about 20km from Galway.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Macross
https://www.parkhousehotel.ie I just read a post on TA from a hotel person telling people that fly into Dublin at 5 am to book the night before if you want your room ready when you show up at 7 am. I agree. We booked a triple room last trip knowing my one freind was coming in a day later at 5 am. It was not needed as her flight was delayed and she never made it till noon but we thought it would be nice for her to take a nap, get a shower and change.
What a great idea! This makes such sense and so worth it.

Last edited by ceezee; Jun 10th, 2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iowamom
Also, if you can squeeze in a day trip to Inishmor when you are in Galway, it is well worth it. We took a ferry from Rossaveal which is about 20km from Galway.
Thanks! We’re definitely interested in a day trip from Galway.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!

I’ve booked Buswells in Dublin and the Twelve Hotel in Galway.

At the Twelve Hotel I got a super deal for three nights, three breakfasts, and two dinners (one at their West and a second at O’Gradys on The Pier. I snagged a weekday deal- it pays to arrive on a Sunday!

Now to rent a car, probably through Conn’s. Last will be the plane flights.

Last edited by ceezee; Jun 12th, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Java Republic is very close to Buswells and we love going there for breakfast or coffee in the afternoon.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:43 PM

Oooh sounds like a great deal at The Twelve - I hope you love it as much as we did. I think we ate at the Bistro and their pizza place. We had a great dinner at O'Gradys as well! Enjoy your trip... envious am I!