7 days in Ireland

Search

7 days in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in Ireland

Hello, My husband and I along with our sons (21 and 17) will be traveling May 30- June 6 to Ireland for the first time. (Land Monday May 30 10:30 AM- Depart Monday June 6 12:30 PM) Our older son will be starting his PH.D In the fall after graduating from Undergrad in May, so this will be our graduation gift to him. (and us too!) He is excited to see as much as we can and I am trying to decide how best to go about planning to make sure we don't spend all our time driving.

Some of the places we would like to see if time allows:
Dublin, Glendalough, Kilkenny, Roc of Cashel, Muckross House, Blarney Castle, Kenmare, Killarney, Dingle Pennisula, Cliff of Moher, Galway, Aran Islands

I had initially thought of spending the first couple of nights in Dublin, then taking a bus tour on Wednesday through Glendalough and Kilkenny. Renting a car in Kilkenny and driving while seeing as many things as we can along the way. Maybe finish up in Galway and taking a bus to the airport for our final night.

I am also unsure about what locations would be best for us to stay in order to get the most out of our days.

I would really appreciate any help in planning our week. Thanks so much.

Suzanne
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:44 AM

>>> and taking a bus to the airport for our final night.
Which airport are you coming home from? Dublin?

You have 7 nights.
If you stay "first couple of nights in Dublin", and if you return flight is from Dublin, then you need the last night in Dublin, which means you have consumed 3 fragmented nights in Dublin.

You only have 4 nights left to allocate elsewhere.

You can easily compare what you can do by aggregating all your stay in Dublin in one piece at end vs. fragmenting it. You might also be able to allocate only 2 nights in Dublin to accomplish what 3 fragmented nights in Dublin can do and allocate one more night outside Dublin.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
With what you want to see -- I'd definitely consider skipping Dublin altogether. Most of the other things you want to see are over west and you only have a total of 6 days (plus a few jetlagged hours on the 30th). Not nearly enough time for all that. I'd get across the country first thing after arriving at DUB -- where really doesn't matter - Galway would be good by CityLink. Pick up a rental car the next day and tour around the whole time. Spend the last night around Glendalough and drive the last morning up to DUB (less than 90 minutes), fly home.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 12:44 PM

You need to be at the Dublin airport by 9:30 Monday morning because you clear customs and immigration there now. They ask you to be there three hours before your flight and I have needed that amount of time twice, once I didn't but had a 2:30 pm flight.

I love Dublin and think your sons will like the vibe there. So much to see, a literary tour your first night will keep you awake and show you a few pubs. Longer days help me a lot with jet lag and you boys should be ok.

You can do a day tour to Glendalough from Dublin.
http://www.wildwicklow.ie/
https://wicklowmountainstour.ie

http://www.gobus.ie/ easy way to get to Galway if you don't want to drive but rent a car and tour from there. A small car will fit four but might be tight for the luggage.cou

I love Inis Mor, favorite of the Aran Islands, the cliffs are more beautiful than the cliffs of Moher imo.
http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activi...-ferries/61100 This is a bigger ferry so if the water is rough you won't get sea sick.

I could fill the whole week just in this area but you could just drive to Galway, spend the night, next day head to Cliffs, Dingle and loop your way back around Blarney and Wicklow. a lot of driving and one nighters but you will see everything on your list.

Do you boys watch Game of Thrones? You can arrive in Dublin, take the bus right away to Belfast, see the city and then do a Game of Thrones tour the next day. It was great and love NI.

I just think you need to cut out Galway or Dingle. Would be very hard to fit everything in.
I would cut out Dingle. You can always come back but don't skip Dublin. Your sons will like touring Trinity college and the nightlife is great.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 12:54 PM

The Ireland expert Tony will be along and he is great at distance and driving and what is feasible.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your helpful information. Here is a new plan I am considering, I would love your feedback if you don't mind.

Greg, that makes so much sense to not give Dublin 3 nights so I changed things up a bit.

janisj do you think going towards Galway first instead of towards Glendalough is a better idea or do you think this plan could work?

flpab, yes I agree about Dublin, since it is our first trip my sons both have their minds set on seeing specific sights already, one of which is definitely the Trinity College. When I told them about the literary tour they both are really hoping we can fit it in as well. My older son loves Game of Thrones, not sure how we could fit it in, if not this trip, next for sure. Excited about Inis Mor I really want to make sure we do this boat tour. All such helpful advice.

Day One: Dublin

Day Two: Collins Bus Tour http://www.collinsdaytours.com/- Wicklow Gap/ Glendalough/ Kilkenny - Rent car in Kilkenny and spend the night

Day Three: Rock of Cashel/ Killarney- Spend the night Killarney

Day Four: Gap of Dunloe/ Dingle Spend the night Dingle

Day Five: Doolin/ Ennis - Spend the night Ennis or Galway

Day Six: Galway Spend the night Galway

Day Seven: Back to Dublin Early morning Spend the night in Dublin

Day 8: Early morning Airport

Other Idea would be to bus straight from airport to Galway (like janisj suggested and put Dublins two nights on the end of the trip??)
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 02:05 PM

http://www.collinsdaytours.com/itinerary.asp That is good that the last stop is Kilkenny. Just taking your luggage on with you and leaving the tour there?

That would work.

Day five: I would get to Galway and be ready to get the ferry in the morning, that way you have two nights in the same hotel.

Drop off the car at the airport? I would get the leap card for 24 hours. You can use on the bus, dart or luas.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types
Stay in the city and leave by 9:00 or *:30 am for the airport and you should be great.

http://www.dublinpubcrawl.com/
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

flpab,

Yes, just taking the luggage and when the tour has ending he will leave us there and the car rental company is just up the road from the final stop. The owner of the tour was very helpful and accommodating when I asked if that would be ok so that works out with our first night stay I guess if there is time we could go on to Rock of Cashel and free up more time the next day.

On day 5 After spending the night in Dingle since it is a bit further of a drive we will try and fit in as much as we can to see along the way and try and get to Galway by late afternoon, so we can be ready for early morning ferry. I like the idea of two nights in one place.

Is the Ferry to the island all day? Looks like it may board at 10:30 AM.

On day 7 I had considered just leaving the car in Galway and taking a bus back to Dublin, then taking our luggage to our hotel and venturing out for the rest of day. I am looking at buses that make that route and have found a few different ones. Is there one I should consider?

Day 8 we would take a taxi to the airport

Thank you for sending the link to the pub crawl. My boys are avid lovers of all music so we would love any suggestions of pubs with great band as well.