BA Tickets Cancellation Policy

Aug 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,862
Ok, I said I shouldn't post anymore.

But trust me, I've tried -- including suggesting they book the ticket. I considered all the angles and I carefully spelled things out for them.

You guys must have never dealt with bureaucracy.

My experience goes like this: People call you if they need something from you. They don't return your calls if you need something from them. By "call" I mean call/e-mail/etc.

I'm starting to think this thread is more suited for Fodorite Lounge. Again, I apologize if it's unnecessary clutter, but I usually feel the need to clarify and defend myself.

Regarding refund policy, my first thought was that it could be European vs US carriers, but then I called Virgin yesterday and it looks like they issue a voucher also. My only experience is with AA and it's a credit + voucher for the remainder (if you rebook using the credit and don't spend it all). I'm under the impression the same applies to Delta and Continental.

As for the advice regarding waiting to book or risking money or whatever, I think another simple rule goes like this:

"If something goes wrong, blame someone else."

So, if I booked something cheap and the trip is cancelled, that's my fault. Why did I book in the first place?

But if I don't book and the trip costs twice as much, that's my fault also -- because I should have had the foresight to book.

Think about it. How would you feel if I had told you the trip would cost $X, and then next week, the cost was actually $2X? It's your fault for not getting back to me, but would you admit it?

I can't win.
111op is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,607
I don't know who you are dealing with, but they just sound stupid. Any adult who has ever flown with an IQ over that of a turnip knows perfectly well that airline ticket prices change with dates closer to the flight, and ticket prices vary a lot anyway, depending on sales, availability, dates, etc. So they don't sound like good people to be doing business with, because they are trying to stick you with the cost it sounds like. Yes, I've dealt with bureaucracy, that doesn't sound like this, as corporate HR or travel agencies, or conversely, govt. agencies where you submit expenses, seem to all understand this.
Christina is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 80
111op, I'm dying to know what finally happens - please let us know, and best of luck to you!
Jespere is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,862
Well I wasn't going to post anymore, but I'm going to use the opportunity to vent about how I dislike BA. So I tried to book online four times. Each time I ended up with a systems error. So I called BA instead. And there was a long wait. By contrast I hardly have to wait whenever I call AA.

Then of course the fare differs by $30, and you guessed it, phone is more expensive -- and it's not because of the booking fee, which I think they waived.

Anyway, whatever. I just bought the ticket. Another agent confirmed the $250 cancellation. However she added that there will be a surcharge in that event. If I cancel online, I probably have to pay another $10. If on the phone, probably $20.

While I'm on this, this is the message regarding cancellation that appears online: "If you want to cancel your flight
If the booking is cancelled before your first flight, a cancellation fee of $ 250 per ticket applies."

So it's not really clear that you get a credit (instead of a voucher). If you book with BA, just bear in mind that this need not be the default option. You may have to pay a little extra to get it, as I said.

I just couldn't deal with booking this next week when I know the price will go up. When it does, I'll have to go through the clearance process all over again. I like to be cheap, but time is money. I'll just eat the cancellation fee myself if it comes to that.

And to answer Christina's post, to be fair to them, I think the trip is happening on short notice, and people just take time to respond even though I gently give them a nudge that the ticket will only become more expensive the longer I wait. I tend to think that they will come through and tell me it's fine. But I've pulled the trigger and we'll see what happens.

Now I can worry about other things.
111op is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,862
Oh, I'm still waiting on the E-ticket confirmation from BA. The booking was done about an hour ago. I just don't know why it's so hard for them to build a nice booking system. Maybe it's just my rough luck.
111op is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 189
The only problem I've ever had with BA booking occurred when I tried to change a reservation - and yes I had to pay the change fee. I kept getting a system error and had to phone. I believe the system error occurred then because I was trying to change to the first flight from LHR to Atlanta. When I called to change dates the agent tried to book me from LGW through O'Hare to ATL. I had to tell them there was a driect flight from LHR to ATL. Usually their booking system is easy to use.
DCJones is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 221
Hi 111op

Just a question I had in mind, if "said person" is not responding to you, will "said person" actually pay for your ticket?

scotsgirl is offline  
Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,862
Hey, scotsgirl, well, they set an actual date. And because my schedule is not completely flexible, the longer I wait, the more likely I'll lose the ability to take the flights I really want.

Of course there's a chance they could back out, which is why I'm concerned and asked here. But I'll have a busy week so after thinking about it (and wasting enough time on Friday) I just don't feel like dealing with trying to get their approval next week.

If I'm wrong, I'll just "eat" that cancellation fee myself. I mean, if they say fine next week, then because the price will have gone up, I'd have to go back and say, "er... actually it's now...." And repeat this whole thing again? Just not worth it.

As I said, I don't think it's entirely their fault because this happened kind of suddenly. Some people just take their time and can't be rushed no matter what you do. It's just annoying when there's not much time left.
111op is offline  
Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,862
Predictably, checking BA now, I see the flights have become more expensive as I expected.

It's not to say they can't become cheaper next week, but I think it's very unlikely.
111op is offline  
Aug 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 221
just stay optimistic, you never know what happens.

scotsgirl is offline  
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,862
If anyone is really interested, they just gave me the go ahead. And of course prices are more expensive now. I'm just glad that I booked on Friday because I'll have to check in again otherwise.
111op is offline  
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 221
YOU SEE!!!!!

All that worry for nothing

Glad it all worked out in your favour

im still intrigued as to who "those who remain nameless" are haha!

scotsgirl is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Air Travel
Aug 15th, 2017 08:48 AM
Air Travel
Mar 30th, 2008 10:26 PM
Air Travel
Mar 28th, 2007 06:12 PM
Air Travel
Apr 8th, 2006 02:34 PM
United States
Jan 17th, 2006 03:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:43 PM.