Day Itinerary In Mount Jungfra

Aug 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Day Itinerary In Mount Jungfra

Good day to all,

I am going to the famous top of europe, ie mount jungfra in this coming sep09 with my wife.

Could please comment and suggest the time shall i allocated to have a memorable trip.

We will stay in one of the hotel in interlaken and begin the journey at 8am in interlaken ost.
Plan 1:
Interlaken Ost - Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch - Grindelwald - Interlaken Ost.
Plan 2:
Interlaken Ost - Grindelwald - Männlichen- Wengen- Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch - Interlaken Ost.

Actually, my biggest doubt is i do not know the journey time for one place to another and staying time for one spot to another.

Would appreciate your kind advise. Thanks.
Aug 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg (through Wengen)
Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfrau
Jungfrau - Kleine Scheidegg

Walk to Männlichen and take the cable car down to Grindelwald
or
Take train down to Grindelwald

Go back to Interlaken Ost.

It sounds complicated but it isn't. Use sbb.ch for train times.
Aug 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Schuler.

How much time i need to tour for each spot, eg in Jungfrau (2hours)? Lauterbrunnen (1 hour)? etc.

shall i cover Murren and Gimmelwald as well?

thanks.
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM

You can't possibly see it all in one day. The trip to the Jungfrau and back from Interlaken takes close to a full day, and that's just sitting on the train as you pass through Lauterbrunnen and Wengen, then changing trains in Kleine Scheidegg for the last leg to the Jungfrau. You'll want to spend at least a couple of hours at the top, having lunch, maybe taking a hike, soaking up the scenery.

I suggest you don't make any stops on the way up. If you have time between trains on the way down, you might spend some time in each of the villages you pass through (depending on the route you take) and take your time getting back to Interlaken, maybe have dinner somewhere along the way.

If you have good weather, you'll want to take advantage of it and get to the top of the Jungfrau as soon as possible, before the clouds move in. Visibility can change in a hurry, so the sooner you get to the top the better.
Aug 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Melnq8 is right. No stopovers til Jungfraujoch. At the Jungfraujoch, I would recommend the following:

- a nice coffee at the self-service restaurant
- the terrace from the Sphinx-Aussichtsterrasse
- the plateau with the ice
- the ice palace

It takes about 2 hours for everything.

When you get back down to Kleine Scheidegg, get off and enjoy the views there. Then decide if you'd like to walk to the Männlichen or just go direct to Grindelwald.

The Männlichen-Grindelwald lift closes at 5 pm so make sure you have enough time.
Aug 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Schuler.

Is there any extra fare we need to pay for the cable car down to Grindelwald from Männlichen (with full price return ticket CHF181.80- 25% on eurail)?

It is sound reasonable and enjoyable if i plan my day trip as follow:
- 7:05am to 9:22am -- from interlaken ost to jungfra (non-stop)
- 9:30am to 12pm -- Visit Jungfrau Ice Palace, Ice Gateway,Sphinx observation terracece,the plateau with the ice, etc.
-12pm to 1pm- lunch at the self-service restaurant
1pm to 2:03pm - Jungfrau to Kleine Scheidegg
-2.03pm to 4.30pm (not sure the journey time) -Kleine Scheidegg walk to Männlichen and take the cable car down to Grindelwald, walk and visit Männlichen and take the cable car down to Grindelwald. Visit Grindelwald town.
4:42pm to 5:30pm - Grindelwald to Interlaken Ost

Would appreciate ur kind advise and suggestion / comment. Thanks.
Aug 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM

2.03pm to 4.30pm (not sure the journey time) -Kleine Scheidegg walk to Männlichen and take the cable car down to Grindelwald, walk and visit Männlichen and take the cable car down to Grindelwald. Visit Grindelwald town.

Regarding the above:

The Mannlichen cable car goes down to Wengen. This is at an additional cost.

The Grindelwald-Männlichen Gondola Cableway (the longest cableway in the world) goes from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund, from there you need to take the train to Grindelwald. From Grindelwald, you'd need to take the train back to Interlaken. When we did this years ago, I recall there being a short walk between Grindwald Grund and the cable station.

The Grindelwald-Mannlichen Gondola Cableway is not part of the Jungfrau railway, and therefore will be at an additional cost - I'm pretty sure of this, but you should check.

If you plan to go down this way, you need to pay for it this way when you buy your ticket - be specific - to make sure you're not paying twice. The standard return ticket from Interlaken to Jungfrau includes going up through Lauterbrunnen and Wengen and return via TRAIN. It's also possible to go up from Grindelwald and back down via TRAIN, or to combine the two (up from one side, down the other). My understanding is the fare from Grindelwald is more expensive.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM

You need to be aware of a couple of things:

There are many days that you cannot ascend the Jungfrau - since the top is shrouded in clouds (even if the valley is sunny) - so you can;t see anything. We were in Interlaken 3 days before we got a day with good weather. (But staying in Interlaken is fine, since you can explore the lakes, the nearby towns - Brienz, Thun etc - and well as some of the small towns on the way up the mountain.)

You need to be ready for the temps at the top - it's always covered in snow and you need sturdy non-slip footwear to go outside (necessary to see quite a bit) as well as layers you can add or remove as you head up or down the mountain. (We went up in a train with a young couple in shorts, tee shirt and sandals. They were shivering by the time we reached the top - and just went right back down without seeing anything (I think the thin atmosphere was bothering her too - can make you a little light headed if you're not used to it.)
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

how long is the walking journey from Kleine Scheidegg walk to Männlichen? any scenary view? please advise. Thanks.
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:53 AM

Yes, it's incredibly scenic! It takes about an hour, give or take. Details here:

http://www.walkingswitzerland.com/wa..._descrip/8026/
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:02 AM

I prefer to begin the walk from Männlichen, as then I am looking directly into the beautiful mountains and glaciers.

But either way, it is spectacular, a hike not to be missed when visiting the area.

It always takes me at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours to finish. There are just way too many photo opportunities to pass up.
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:33 AM

> I prefer to begin the walk from Männlichen, as then I am looking directly into the beautiful mountains and glaciers.

That's my thought too.
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM

If you want to take in the views from the Männlichen, I suggest taking the train from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen. There you change for Wengen.
In Wengen leave the train and walk to the cable lift that goes to the top of the ridge.
Walk down to Kleine Scheidegg and continue to the Jungfraujoch.
If you have a Swiss Card or similar discount ticket,
I think you could buy partial tickets. I have noticed any advantage to round trip tickets or "inclusive packages."

The recommendation that you walk downhill to Kleine Scheidegg is one I suggest you take. As you walk down the trail you will get some fantastic views of the face of the Eiger, the Mönch and the Jungfrau. They will all be virtually in front of you.

On your return trip you could go to Grindelwald and return to Interlaken Ost that way. Grindelwald is a town with hotels and tourist oriented shops. I have been through it 25 to 30 times and have done a little shopping there for souvenirs and presents. The shops, however, are very similar to those in Interlaken.

You were asking about Gimmelwald and Mürren. Gimmelwald is a dot on the landscape. I have walked through it several times on my way elsewhere. There are almost no shops there to speak of unless you want to buy cheese!

Mürren is mostly restaurants and hotels, but the views from various terraces and restaurant windows are excellent.
Both places are out of the way if you are going to the Jungfraujoch.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will have a rewarding trip should you elect to go all the way to the top. The view from the Sphinx observation building is often obscured as has been pointed out.

Two years ago when I was there we went no farther up than Kleine Scheidegg because I could not see the Joch itself. If I could not see it, people up there could not see me! So I figured it was a waste of money to continue up.

And the section of the trip from the Eigergletscher station to the top is the most expensive leg of the trip.