Reload this Page >

Auto-France: Pros and Cons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:57 PM
curious

I've gotten quotes now from Auto Europe and from Auto-France for a 19-day rental in France, renting in Paris and returning to Paris.<BR><BR>The prices are the same except that, it being a lease, Auto-France doesn't charge tax whereas Auto Europe has to add $400 in taxes.<BR><BR>What is the downside to "purchasing" a Peugeot from Auto-France? When I asked the guy at Auto Europe to give me any comments, he only told me that because I "owned" the car I would be responsible for all maintenance of it and any damage to it. Since the car would be in warranty, I'm not terribly concerned about maintenance.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Patrick

We've "leased" from Auto France twice, most recently for 60 days, driving over 7,000 kilometers.<BR>It is a great deal. I don't know what he means about your being responsible for damage, as total insurance is included -- with a zero deductible. We managed to do the one thing that isn't covered -- ruin a tire -- by driving over a rough rock that slashed the tire's side, so we did have to replace that.<BR>You are also not responsible for any maintenance on it, since it is on full warranty. If there is any problem, you're never very far from an authorized Peugeot place. Several years ago we were required to take the car in for an initial "maintenance" at about 1000 kilometers. Even that was a piece of cake. Went into a Peugeot dealer, they did a check of about 50 items and we were out in less than half an hour. But that isn't even required any more unless you drive it over 10,000 kilometers which I assume you won't do in 19 days!<BR><BR>If it seems to good to be true, don't worry. It's all based on the idea that Peugeot's agent can then sell this "used" car to someone (usually a rental car agency or a corporation) without charging the 21 percent VAT tax.<BR><BR>The plan is only available to those of us outside the European market as we are exempt from VAT on new cars as well; that's why they title it in your name.<BR><BR>By the way, go for a diesel. We got the new 307 which gets over 50 miles to the gallon and diesel is a lot less expensive. The one we had several years ago was sort of noisy and sometimes smelly, but not this one. Runs like a dream, very quiet, and super efficient.<BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 06:26 PM
FLJudi

Suggest you ask the Auto France people rather than the Auto Europe people about being responsible for damage to the leased car. According to the Peugeot Vacation Plan brochure, your coverage for a lease is complete -"you drive a brand-new tax free car, at a rate guaranteed in dollars which includes comprehensive auto insurance with no deductible, unlimited mileage, 24-hour travel assistance and free delivery/return at major French airports." <BR><BR>Another benefit is that you are sure to get the type of car that you want - for example, automatic transmission or diesel.<BR><BR>We leased a Renault from RenaultUSA this past summer and were delighted with the whole experience - including the ability to return the car at the Nice airport at 6AM so we could get an early flight out. Pick up and return were arranged in advance - the easiest car pickup we've ever had - anywhere.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 01:36 AM
ellie

I totally agree with the previous posters. We went with the Peugeot lease through Autofrance.net this past summer and had a great experience. It was the easiest ,most troublefree experience with car rental we'd ever had. We had it for 21 days and upon return we were out of there in about 5 minutes. They took us to the airport from the lot. The car we had was a deisel and a dream to drive with many great features. We will go with them on future trips for sure.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Michael

Just one little fly in the ointment. We leased a 307 this past summer, and ten days into our 56 day rental, the air duct for the turbo cracked. We were in the Dordogne, on our way to Spain. The local garage did not have the part and referred us to the garage in P&eacute;rigueux. They thought they had the part, but did not, and the part existed nowhere in France or Europe because it was too new. It would be available the following week. We called ahead to the Bilbao dealer to make sure that they would order the part. We got there, and they did not have it, again because there are variants on 307's, depending on their date of production. They called ahead to Barcelona which finally repaired the car at no cost. But the point is that I could not walk into a dealer or rental agency and simply ask for a new car. BTW, the mileage was down during the whole episode.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Jim

Curious,<BR>I also had an excellent experience leasing from Auto France this past summer. Leased a 406 wagon for 4 for 35 days. I agree with Patrick that they are a great company.<BR>Even though I have no particular love for AutoEuorope (they screwed up my last rental), in fairness let me suggest that you are comparing a lease from Auto France versus a rental from AutoEurope. In that case AutoEurope must charge a VAT tax as well as all rental companies. If these are both leases, then you/they are wrong. <BR>I fully intend to lease again from Auto France next summer because they are very helpful and caring.<BR>One last comment regaring Auto Europe, since they have merged with Kemwel this past year, I've found them to be less competitive than they were.