Car rental versus leasing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading on the forums that leasing a car in France is a better deal than renting if you are there for more than 17 days. Yet when I checked the prices I can rent in the area of $750 for 18 days but leasing is in the area of $1300 for the same kind of car. Am I missing something? Is there some reason why leasing is a better option?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Neopolitan

Same car? Same full insurance? Both quoted in dollars?
I'm surprised.
Actually I wouldn't expect a big savings for that near the minimum number of days, but wouldn't expect that kind of comparison. The lease becomes more price effective the longer you keep the car. Rentals usually don't.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Based on what I've read, I was surprised with your figures, too. So I did a little checking of my own. Renting a Renault Megane through Auto Europe was around $500 basic (no CDW)and $700 complete (with CDW). I put in July dates so there were discounts on each for booking well in advance. Leasing a Renault Megane through RenaultUSA's Autodrive program was well over $1000. For this particular car at least, renting would be a lot cheaper.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Keep in mind that the leasing program uploads insurance and possibly other fees on the first 17 days. I have always maintained that a lease for the minimum period of time is not worth it; especially if you can carry the CDW and LDW on your Visa card. BTW, if you get into an accident with the leased car, no replacement is provided; the same goes for repairs. You actually own the car until you return it.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Neopolitan

Michael, I don't know anything about the Renault programs, but AutoFrance does give you a replacement car if you have a problem with yours, including an accident. We had a cracked windshield on our Peugeot and took it in for a replacement. When I just casually mentioned the fact that it was good they had been able to fix it in one day, I was "scolded" for not saying we wanted a "loaner" -- that is part of the lease deal!

And Tim, not to beat a dead horse, but does that CDW with AutoEurope have a zero deductible like the lease program does?

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Side-by-side comparo:

AutoEurope Peugeot 307, AT, pickup CDG 1 June, dropoff CDG 19 June, "inclusive" rate = US$1,452. ("Inclusive" is taxes and insurance with US$860 (€750?) deductible.) Airport pickup fee not included but payable.

RenaultUSA buy-back (&quot;lease&quot Renault Megane 1.6l AT (called a comparable by London <i>Times</i, same dates, pickup/dropoff point. Rate including zero-deductible insurance = US$1,182. No airport pickup fee applicable (not a rental.)

The rate of savings will be different according to specific details. That's where the devil is, BTW.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Leases are unlimited milage, whereas rentals are not usually. I did a renault lease once and it worked out well. I had lots of people traveling and needed the longer version of the Renault Espace which no rental place had. I also did ALOT of driving so would have gone well over the included miles.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:35 AM

I have a Kemwel lease for my trip in September. An automatic, Air conditioned vehicle. I will be leasing it for 16 days. It was by far cheaper than renting and Kemwel was cheaper than Auto Europe. You can turn them in early re the 17 day minimum.

Remember to check with the rental what liability exposure you really have, even with the CDW. Also, if you have read the problems that people have had with rental insurance claims with or without CDW. The leases are covered 100% in every way!

Joan

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi all,

Keep in mind that if you decline the CDW and let your credit card be your insurer, you have zero deductible.

This lowers the cost of a rental.

Get the contract and read the fine print.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Keep in mind that if you decline the CDW and let your credit card be your insurer, you have zero deductible.</i>

But first verify - carefully - with your credit card issuer just exactly what their &quot;CDW waiver&quot; benefits are. Some cards <i>only</i> provide coverage in N. America.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:55 AM

Another comment about reading the fine print on your CC's insurance policy - make sure they cover long-term rentals (monthly or leased). Some insurance plans will only cover daily or weekly rentals.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM

All the rentals I used came with unlimited mileage. I would not take a AutoEurope inclusive rate because it does have a deductible. Most credit cards will cover the CDW with no deductible, but never take anyone's word for it. Check it out yourself.