Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel near Rome FCO airport for early flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Trish

We have an 8:45 a.m. flight out of Rome. Would like to spend our last night about one hour north of the airport. Price range up to $150.00. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Rex

I'm guessing that you "don't need any more Rome" - - because otherwise, i would say stay IN Rome - - any place north of Rome is more than an hour away in morning rush hour traffic on the GRA.<BR><BR>But there are a few places vaguely close to FCO that would not require tangling in Rome traffic:<BR><BR>Lido di Ostia (actually slightly south of FCO) - - try La Riva - - http://www.venere.com/it/lazio/ostia/lariva/<BR><BR>Tuscania (north of Civitavecchia) - - try Hotel Al Gallo - - http://www.venere.com/it/lazio/tuscania/algallo/<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:09 PM
trisha

There is a Hilton actually attached to the airport by a skywalk with moving sidewalks. Don't know how expensive it is, but it would certainly be convenient.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:32 PM
been there

The Hilton that's connected to the airport is very nice but very expensive. We spent $500 on 2 rooms. We were traveling with our elderly father and this made our early am departure much easier...this was shortly after the hotel opened. Maybe you can find a more reasonable rate.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:36 PM
JOdy

I think I'd just stay in Rome and hire a limo to pick you up1<BR><BR>www.limoservicerome.com is great~!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Trish

First of all, thank you all for your help. One thing, I should have mentioned, is that we are dropping our rental car off at the airport. Rex, I will check into the web site of the two hotels you suggested. Being this is our first trip to Italy I appreciate all the help I can get.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Rex

You're very welcome. Tell us more about your entire itinerary - - it might influence advice to give you the last night or two.<BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Trish

Hello Rex,<BR><BR>You asked about our itinerary. It is as follows: We arrive at the Rome FCO airport about 12:30 p.m. from California, we pick up our rental car at the airport and drive to Orvieto for our first night, then on to Montalcino for two nights, San Gimignano for three nights, Portovenere for three nights and then to Bevagna for five nights. Then back to Rome. As you can probably agree Bevagna is to far to drive to Rome for an early morning flight. Therefore, a suggestion for our last night (not at the airport) is what I need. I did look into Hotel Al Gallo and they were booked. Looking forward to your reply.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Nycer

If you can manage it, I think I would try to stay at the Rome FCO Hilton. You can drop your car the night prior to departure, then walk to the hotel. If you really want to go back into the city (we did), there is a free Hilton Shuttle Bus that will take you back and forth. We paid a rate of 245 euros, which seems expensive, but it was worth it for the convenience of not having to get a cab to a hotel, loading all of our luggage, and then catching another cab back to the airport in the early morning. If you stay at the Hilton you can just walk right into the airport terminal.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Rex

This is your first trip to Italy ever, and you don't want to spend ANY time in Rome, Florence or Venice? A Fodors first!<BR><BR>I din't know even know where Bevagna is - - why five nights there? Family?<BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Trish

First of all Nycer, I would like to thank you for the useful information re the Hilton. I think we will reserve a room there.<BR>Rex, we will be spending a couple of days in Florence and also Sienna. We are saving Rome for our Italy, France trip. Both of us enjoy the countryside, small towns, etc. We plan to do a lot of hiking, biking, wine tasting and enjoying each area we visit.<BR>Bevagna is in Umbria, close to Assisi, Spello, Todi etc. Nice to know that I was a Fodor's first! I like being different.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Rex

I dont think you should rule out staying IN Rome for that final night. There is a lot to enjoy in Rome even if you only have 6 pm to midnight!<BR><BR>I don't think there is any company which would charge you extra to turn in Rome itself, rather than the airport.<BR><BR>And cabs are NOT a bad way to get back to the airport for your early morning flight.<BR><BR>Any way you approach it, I think you have already selected an excellent ATTITUDE about your trip (not always following where everyone else has been) - - and I predict you're going to love Italy.<BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 01:45 PM
joyce

Holiday Inn Rome-Eur Parco Dei Medici-- They have a shuttle to and from the airport also a shuttle to and from Rome Center. We have stayed there on three trips the night before we fly out.It's a little worn, but We are booked there again this next June and for 104.00 EURper double room with free breakfast and free shuttle it,s fine.We booked on the Holiday Inn website. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:57 PM
topper

up<BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Trish

Again, thank you all. I did book a room at the Airport Hilton. We plan to take the shuttle into Rome and spend the afternoon and have an early dinner. Any advice on how to make the best use of this short time? So much to see, so little time............

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Bill

Why the early dinner? No good restaurant in Rome serves before 8 pm.<BR><BR>You're missing out on Rome if you don't at least take a cab back to your Hilton at or after 10 pm.<BR><BR>Don't you just have a long flight the next day to catch up on any missed sleep?<BR>