Attire for Restaurants in the Country?

Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Attire for Restaurants in the Country?

There has been a lot of discussion (in other threads) about the proper dress for restaurants in Paris. I was interested in what would be proper attire for nice restaurants (including some with Michelin Stars)in the French countryside, resorts and and small towns? Is it safe to assume that restaurants outside of Paris are somewhat less formal? Does a Michelin star (or two) and/or a Relais and Chateaux establishment always mean that men would be most accepted in a coat and tie and women should wear dresses?
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:40 AM

We've stayed in several Relais and Chateaux country house hotels in France and always the men have worn jackets and ties. Dresses or dressy pants are fine for women.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:16 AM

I think having a coat and tie available can be useful in many of these places but we learned, recently, that the so-called "rules" are not always "enforced."

We were dining at Le Choiseul in Amboise (one star) during what can only be described as the height of the tourist season when there is certainly no lack of patrons for a place like this.

Whereas there is talk on websites about "jacket and tie" being "required" the night we dined there the men were in various forms of dress from our own coats and ties (and a few others) to sport shirts, shorts, and certainly no ties.

I recount this only to reassure you that you will, undoubtedly, be dressed "appropriately" but don;t be discouraged when others around you may not be as dressed as you are AND the restaurant treats them equally well.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM

If you pack one jacket (a black one preferably - every man should have at least one really good, really well tailored black jacket - or a checked/striped one for daytime) and one tie (which takes up no room) then you're covered for all eventualities.

But it's more to do with looking presentable. A t-shirt and jeans can look a mess, or it can have a rock chic edge or a more sartorial elegance. It's versatile, and can take you anywhere!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
ira

Hi Go,

Gentlemen always wear jackets when dining in public, except for certain resorts where gentlemen do not wear jackets at all.

However, with the current worldwide fashion for men to look like slobs, and women to dress as if they were looking for customers - "anything goes".

Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:13 AM

The key to these restaurants is not dressy dresses and suits and ties - it's to look elegant. There are a lot of different ways of doing this. However, blue jeans, gigantic white sneakers and tee shirts with cute sayings is not one of them.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM

I ate lunch at La Chassagnette (1-star Michelin place in the Camargue) a few days ago, and we were by far the best dressed people there. I in a sleeveless dress and sandals, my son in khaki shorts and a polo shirt, my friend PB in capris and a linen shirt, and her husband in cotton pants and a sort of Hawaiian print shirt. The French were in grubby t-shirts and even bathing trunks!
Yes, in summer the restaurants are less formal. Just aim for decent attire, not even necessarily a coat and tie, and you'll be fine, if not overdressed.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM

Cute sayings are vile. However, sayings with a sombre, been there, done that attitude are very in this season. We're talking rock mixed with religious/spiritual intensity.

As for jeans - super skinny legs are in, Dior Homme is the most well known in achieving this look. Karl Lagerfeld lost weight just to fit into their trousers.

White converse style/military inspired trainers coupled with said jeans and said t-shirt with a jacket thrown over for good measure you can pretty much go anywhere.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:16 AM
sha

Hi:

We'll be leaving next week for SW France. We'll be staying at 4 Relais and Chateaux hotels where we'll be having dinner. I e-mailed the hotels to ask if there was a dress code. None of them had a code but indicated that obviously, shorts and sneakers were inappropriate.
We've stayed in similar properties a few times on different trips where we packed a jacket and tie for my husband that took up valuable space in the suitcase-not needed. Nice slacks and a shirt for him and casual dresses or nice pants outfits for me were perfect. You always see all kinds of attire. No need to worry-clean and comfortable is the rule. In France, a scarf for the ladies never hurts!
Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:19 AM

On previous trips I've had my husband wear the navy cashmere sports jacket on the plane so he doesn't have to pack it. He complains of course, but I notice we also get really good treatment.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM

I was one of the few wearing a jacket at le Centenaire in Les Eyzies, a Michelin 2 star restaurant. Summertime in the provinces tends to be casual.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:07 AM

Attire can also depend on the weather. When it's hot, jackets tend to disappear; in the winter they're back.