Dress code in Bermuda ??

Search

Dress code in Bermuda ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress code in Bermuda ??

We are going to Bermuda in a few days and I am confused about what to pack. I have seen some websites that say formal dress attire is required for dinner (jackets and ties - dresses for women) yet when I called a couple of the so-called better restaurants they said only no-jeans was the policy because it is so hot there now. Any advise about what to pack ?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM

For women - nice pants, capri pants, skirts will work
For men - Well my husband never ever travels without a blazer and a tie (easy to pack!). most restaurants will not require the tie, but a jacket always 'classes' one up!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Sue, in Bermuda the dress is generally a bit more tailored and polished than in other resort areas. They generally frown on short shorts, tee shirts and tank tops anywhere but on the beach. Men should never go out without a shirt. A few of the restaurants do require jackets of men, but I have not been in any which required the ladies to wear dresses. I usually wear tailored slacks (Bermudas during the day only...Bermudas in the evening for men is quite acceptable usually worn with jacket and tie and nice knee socks) and blouse. I do take a long skirt or dress with me because they are more comfortable for me on a hot evening than slacks. Most of the dress codes are "smart casual" which means nothing too bare and no jeans. Enjoy the trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys !!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM

We read the same type of things before our recent trip to Bermuda, and my husband brought jackets and ties with him. It was unneccesary. At all of the places we ate, the only "requirement" for dinner was dressy casual - collared shirts and slacks for men, dresses, skirts or nice slacks for women. A couple of places had "jackets suggested," but no one without a jacket was turned away. I would say the majority of people went for the dressy casual look, only a few men had jackets, and very few wore a tie. Most of those who had on jackets and ties looked like locals rather than tourists.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - NOTME - I kind of figured that was the case - no one gets dressed up anymore.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:21 AM

The "dress code" is more about modesty in Bermuda. In my younger days, I wore a rather clingy cocktail dress to dinner in Bermuda and all the attention that got was not particularly complimentary. They don't like things which are too form-fitting or revealing. While I might still wear something clingy in my more mature days, it will not be in Bermuda.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Smart casual is the best way to describe what you should wear in Bermuda. Not as stuffy as they once were, but expect you not to show up in shorts and a t-shirt for dinner. Casual dress pants and a nice shirt for men and a casual dress for women will do at most restaurants. But be prepared to wear a tie or a dinner jacket at some establishments. All depends on how formal you want to be on vacation.