what to wear - guys too!

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to wear - guys too!

My husband & I are going to Anguilla next week for the 1st time, staying at Cap Juluca. We are 50 (and fabulous, of course). Besides bathing suits at the beach, we really don't know what we should wear day & night both. Would appreciate and dress code/ style tips. It's not that we're clothes horses - we just want to feel comfortable as we trade our NYC black for 5 days in the sun. Thanks alot.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:39 AM
Sunnyboy

Think "Resort Casual" and you'll do just fine. For daytime wear around the resort and in town shorts and t-shirts will work just fine. Keep the bathing suits for the beach. If you are eating lunch at George's (Cap julca) or at any of the more upscale resorts women should wear a cover-up rather than just their bathing suit. Men can wear a bathing suit but will need a t-shirt.

For dinner at CJ and other upscale restaurants men usually where khaki slacks and a collard short sleeve shirt (golf shirt or cotton button down will work fine). For women, a simple skirt & blouse, pants and Blouse or simple sun dress will be fine. If you are eating dinner in a casual restaurants shorts are perfectly acceptable.

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM

Don't plan to take much that is not natural fabrics for both of you.

The first time I went to the Caribbean and toted all my rayon and microfiber stuff, I thought I would pass out from the heat.

Cotton, silk and linen are the best bets that can be layered in case of a cool evening or an unlikely short-lived cooler snap.

CJ is very "resort wear casual" - think Ralph Lauren ads - so plan on Bermuda shorts or skirts for daytime, or capris, skirts or sundresses for you in the evenings; and linen or khaki slacks and polo or collared cotton or linen shirts for him.

I have so much black stuff I take one or two items for a dressier restaurant or club, but try to branch out and wear - gasp - pastels.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM

Diana, isn't that funny that we've had the opposite experience--I love my microfiber clothes in the Caribbean because they tend not to wrinkle like my cotton or linen. Some of the newer microfibers breathe as well as cotton, so I'm quite happy! With your silk and linen, do you spend time ironing them? Do they not wrinkle? Or do you not mind if they do? Just curious...
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM

You know, as I was writing that, I was thinking, hmmm, I wonder if the new generation of microfiber clothing is much better (breathable) than what I was wearing 12 or 14 years ago when we first started going?

I'm glad you confirmed that for me so that now I can get some things to take as I do really like the drape.

I tend to wear nubbly silk or linen tops and dupioni capris and tops as they do not seem to show the wrinkling as badly. Silk sundresses with a pattern hardly show any wrinkling at all, and of course some of the cottons seem to resist looking rumpled as well.

Lord knows, I hardly ever fire up an iron, so I try to get things that don't wrinkle, but I do think some wrinkling is unavoidable and gives some linen pieces some character (as long as you don't look like you slept in it!).

On the plane to travel, I have a favorite black and white floral cotton Hawaiian shirt, a white linen jacket and black linen capris. The black doesn't show the wrinkles, and when the sleeves on the jacket get wrinkly, I push them up.

I'll have to get some more of the microfiber...any brand you prefer?
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM

What a great choice, one of our favorite vacation destinations. You will have a wonderful time!

As far as clothing, you must cover up when wearing a bathing suit when going from the beach to place to eat. A wrap or beach cover up is perfect. At night things are very resort casual, a pretty skirt and top or summery dress. I have never seen any jackets or stiff clothing....think cool, breezy and comfortable. Khaki or linen pants, linen and colored polo shirts for men at night.

Speaking of comfort...the best advice I can pass along to you is shoes! Most places are on the beach or on sand there is no need for high heels or any kind of dressy shoe. During the day or night...low heeled sandals. Any type of heel will just sink intothe sand and will get destroyed. As far as men, shoes no socks

I just had a thought go to Bob green's website, www.news.ai, you will see what people wear You will also get to look at all the great restaurants and beautiful beaches.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM

Diana, I'm a sucker for things made from Tencel, and I like a lot of the clothing at TravelSmith and TerritoryAhead. Just add a .com for the websites there. I have two reversible dresses, one from each place, and I usually pack just those two, wear one pair of capris, and then pack one pair and I'm good to go for 4-10 nights. I used to be more of a clothes horse when I was younger. Now I'd much rather devote the packing space to books than clothing. I'll definitely have to try it your way with a textured silk to see if it can make a difference.