Attention /achtung: fritzrl

Apr 29th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Attention /achtung: fritzrl

Have greatly enjoyed your posts in reviewing the board before a brief (two day) stop in Berlin. Any tips and hints for another one of uncle's former...er, linguists?
May 1st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Gawsh! I never been mentioned in posting headers before!

So, where did you you work as a, ahem, 'lingust'? Army, Navy or AF?

I lived at Templehof, and worked at the Teufelsberg site. I found it fascinating to revisit both places -- not on a typical tourist's itinerary, probably, but a great nostalgia trip for those of us who were there back in the day. T-Berg is a hassle to get to without a car and/or bicycle, but T-hof is an easy bus ride. Do walk around the place if you have the time -- perhaps on a weekend day. Or, enjoy the thrill of disobeying an antique order, and ride the S-bahn there!

Another very moving moment for me was actually walking thru the Brandenburg Gate. Back then, it was of course completely inaccessible for those of us engaged as 'linguists'. The miracle for me was that there's little trace that the gate was ever anything but what it is today -- quite a stunning and well-restored piece of architecture.

Checkpoint Charlie is a waste of time, my opinion. Much more worthwhile is the "topography of terror" exhibit that clearly shows what was going on over the wall from us.

Other than that: have a Weisse at Kranzler's on the Ku-Damm, and marvel as you do that Berlin really feels 'whole' again. The only thing that hasn't changed much: the Berliners themselves. Still full of Schnauze and ready with a quick wisecrack.

Fritzl
May 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

fritzrl - congratulations on making the marquee!
you can email me offline at beaux78209 at the "big red Y" place (wink wink) and I'll be glad to swap war stories
May 2nd, 2006, 04:14 AM

Having known Berlin as a divided city and experienced the day-to-day 'frissons' deriving from its staus as a city within a politically hostile environment, I do not think that the 'whole' Berlin can ever have the same fascination as it did in the years '61 - '89.

Harzer
May 2nd, 2006, 07:43 AM

Harzer --

I think I agree with you, at least partially. The cold war period gave the atmosphere in Berlin a special electricity, knowing as we all did that potential disaster always lurked mere meters away on the other side of the concrete barrier.

But after two visits to Berlin in the past three years, I have to say that much of the electricity is still there, but it's now based on the fast pace of the city, the wit and energy of its residents, the diversity of its treasures. Even with its current socio-economic problems, Berlin can still enthrall the visitor. When the money starts flowing again, I predict Berlin will easily rival Paris or London as a premier city of the world.

Seamus: look for an email soon. Gotta unbury from work a bit.

Fritzrl
May 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM

>fascination
That's sick and insulting to quite a few people by the way.