ATM Withdrawals in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had some problems with withdrawals in European countries. We bank with a Credit Union here in the US and the logos on the back of our ATM cards are Plus and Star. Some information I found on line mentioned Cirrus and Maestro as being the networks that most banks in France use. If I can't use my ATM card there, do you know if I would be able to enter the bank and engage a real person to advance Euro from my card?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 08:44 PM

In what ways did you have problems before?

Since you have not provided enough info, I need to make several assumptions.

1. What you have is really an ATM card. Not check/debit card.
2. If you really have an ATM card, it is probably linked to a savings account.

If your "ATM" card is linked to a savings account, your chance of getting cash out in France is very poor. I had such an arrangement, and in spite of worthless assurances by branch customer service, it never worked.

If it is linked to a checking account, it "probably" works. But all my banks in the US forced me to convert my ATM cards into debit/check cards more than 10 yrs ago. Debit/check cards in US or usually Visa/Mastercard branded. Their logos are in the front of the card.

The bank FAQs tell you to go into bank in person. Some claim it works. For me, it never worked.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM

I have better luck if I choose ATM's that are right outside banks rather than in grocery stores etc. can't suggest anything else, sorry.

We have cards that are linked to savings problems and have used them in lots of places.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM

Oops, damned predictive text! Savings accounts!
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM

I have a credit union Visa debit card with Plus, NYCE, and Interlink logos on the back and have never had a problem with ATMs in France.

I doubt anyone in the bank would give you money against your card. I haven't been able to do this in France since 1995.

If you have trouble with an ATM machine walk a block and find another one. Sometimes they run out of money and it has nothing to do with your card.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 05:34 AM

I belong to three credit unions and only one atm card worked in the UK last trip. It is hit or miss but so happy my one card did work but I started using my credit card for most purchases to save on cash just in case. This next trip is to France and we are watching the euro and plan to buy a lot when it hits 1.25 since the apartment and and B&B want cash. I don't usually like taking a ton of cash but will in this case.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 05:58 AM

flpab, unless you have a special arrangement with your bank, buying euros in the U.S. before you leave will actually cost you significantly more than 1.25 for one euro. The cheapest way is to actually use your debit card to get cash once you arrive. I'd suggest setting up parameters with your bank before you leave to both allow you to use the bank in europe (to avoid automatic fraud shut-down of the card) and to clarify your withdrawl limits. You likely will only be able to withdraw a certain amount either each day or from each transaction. So long as it is only a transactional limit, you can withdraw the maximum from one ATM, then go to as many other ATM's as necessary.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Greg, my card is a debit/check card which is linked to my primary checking account. If my memory is correct, I received a message such as "invalid card." My card does have VISA on it.

flpab, my situation is the same as yours. I prefer to use my credit card for lodging, but this trip, we are staying in very small places and the B & Bs do not accept cc.

apersuader, you have cleared up a mystery for me. A couple of months ago when the Euro first started its downward trend, I was at an airport with ATMs that would dispense various currencies. I withdrew 200 Euro and believe me, my cost did not reflect the going rate. I thought I was being smart, but I sure wasn't. I would rather wait until arrival to withdraw our Euro, but only if my darn card works.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:49 AM
twk

My sister banks at a credit union which issues probably the same Visa card, and was unable to use the ATM at CDG (and for the life of me, I can't remember whose ATM that was) this past June, but I don't think she had any issues anywhere else. I would say that if one doesn't work, don't panic, just try another somewhere else.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Why not open a checking account at another institution, one that will let you transfer electronically between your accounts at different banks, so that you have cards for accounts at two banks? I never leave home without cards for two different checking accounts and at least two credit cards -- I'm not exactly paranoid, but want to go on enjoying my travels if something goes wrong with one account.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:02 AM

@apersuader65 We always call the bank and credit card companies. We are watching the euro drop daily and know it could go back up as well. 6 of us are splitting the 20.00 one time fee from a local bank. One guy is buying for us all and they are giving us the rate for that day so we are watching daily to jump on the lowest rate. I picked 1.25 and know it could go lower but it is a gamble. Wish we had a crystal ball! We keep euro from trip to trip and I buy from people who return and don't want to keep their euros or pounds. I have gone to Europe when it was almost even and when the exchange was over 150.00.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM

I happen to have a couple of ATM cards, so if one does not work..either try another card or another bank. I have Cirrus and Plus.

as noted, you will not get a choice of Checking/Savings at ATM machine. One recommendation is to get a small amount of euros at home, in case of CDG ATM issues you could get to your hotel
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Both Visa (which owns the Plus system) and Star have web sites that list affiliated banks. If you do even a small amount of research, you ought to be able to figure out which banking networks in Europe will accept your credit union's ATM card.

I've never had problems finding ATMs that take either Plus or Cirrus cards anywhere in the world, but it's certainly true that not every ATM accepts every card. And glitches at individual ATMs can cause you problems even if your card is on the same system, as can PINs with more than 4 digits.

FYI: You do not get an "advance" on your ATM card through a teller inside a bank. You make a withdrawal. But in general, that's difficult if you aren't a bank customer, and I doubt very much that would be possible (though I could be wrong). You do get an advance on your credit card, but I would strongly advise against ever doing that except in an emergency since interest rates and fees are extortionate and begin the very moment the money is withdrawn.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Sever points to consider:

1. French bank ATMs charge no withdrawal fees.

2. Most ATM cards use either the Pulse network (linking Visa cards) or the Cirrus network (used by MasterCard, Maestro, and Diners Club). These networks typically charge a 1% currency conversion fee but the exchange rates are standard bank to bank, mid-market rates.

3. Many US banks, particularly large, big-advertising-budget banks will add fixed transaction costs or add up to a 2% of the amount withdrawn in fees to each withdrawal. These additional fees can be completely avoided if one is careful about the bank he uses.

4. As long as your ATM card is linked to either Pulse or Cirrus/Maestro, there is little chance that it will be rejected at a French bank ATM. If for some reason there is a problem at one ATM, do as twk suggests and try another location.

5. Most US banks limit the amount of money that can be withdrawn within any 24 hour period to approximately $500 or less than 400€. This might be a concern for those paying for accommodations in cash and withdrawals should be planned accordingly.

6. French ATMs will not offer a choice if you typically make ATM withdrawals from different bank accounts. Withdrawals will be automatically made from whichever account your bank has earmarked as your <i>primary</i> account. Bank customers may want to confirm their primary accounts before travelling.

Using ATMs offers the low cost way to obtain foreign currencies. ATMs are ubiquitous all over France including at the airports so obtaining euros is now a fairly routine and simple process.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Very often credit union cards are NOT realy linked to the major ATM providers. Make sure your card has a Visa or MC logo on it an is linked to yourchecking accoutn. If it doesn;t have those logos you may continute tohave problems. Consider trying a real bank wth global scope.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM

I suspect it's your credit union card that is the problem. No French bank is going to hand over money to you, why would they, and they don't do things for people off the street, anyway.

FWIW, I had an ATM card from a local bank in my area that only said STAR on it, as I recall, and it still worked in any country. But that was a big local bank, not some credit union.

I don't know at all why someone above assumed if you had an ATM card it must be linked to a savings account. I don't get the connection, mine wasn't, it was linked to my checking account. And it was NOT a debit card and had nothing on it about VISA, etc.

If your ATM card doesn't work, you'll have to use a credit card, but they charge a fortune to get cash at an ATM. But you can get it.

I suggest you open another account at a regular bank to get a second card for use in ATMs. You might consider a money market account from Capital One, for example.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM

There is no rational reason why a credit union card, linked to one of the international exchanges (Cirrus or Plus), should not function as well as any big bank card.

If you have had problems with an ATM card associated with PLUS (STAR is primarily a N American only network), I would contact PLUS for an explanation. It could be a problem with your card and its magnetic strip readability. It could be some other reason but they should be able to find an appropriate solution without your having to open additional accounts unnecessarily.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Every bank ATM in Paris accepts exactly the same bank cards (i.e. all the principal systems), so it is good to know that you don't ever have to look for a specific ATM. If it works in one ATM, it will work in all of the others.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM

I used my Credit Union ATM card in Europe.

In Europe, the card is linked to your primary account on that ATM card. I found out once there that my money was in the 'wrong' account, so used another card.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM

We bank at a credit union and have successfully used our debit card for cash withdrawals in Europe -- the catch is to make sure you inform your bank IN ADVANCE that you will be traveling. Give them the dates and country location and make sure they make a note on your account. It's also good to have a Visa or MC credit card with a cash advance allowance as back up.