Reload this Page >

Getting cash advance using ATM card with Visa logoin France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:12 AM
jetset

Hello:<BR>I will be traveling to France next week and I informed my local bank about my trip and told me that if ATM machine should malfunction, I can go in the bank and obtain cash by presenting my ATM card - it is still going to be debited from my checking account and my local bank is not going to charge me however the bank where I will get cash from would charge me a fee. Anyone experienced getting cash advance? How much was the fee?<BR>thank you.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:49 AM
oldorch

i did it last year in paris the fee was minimal as i recall. my card didn't work in the atm machines and i was in a bit of a bind. getting the cash advance was no problem just a passport and another form of id.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Andrew

Do you have a 4-digit PIN? If not, you might have a problem. But if you have a 4-digit PIN and your card has the PLUS and/or CIRRUS logo, it should work fine in ATMs all over France. I used about a dozen ATM machines in France and the Netherlands in September; because their machines charge no ATM fee and neither does my credit union, this was the way to go for me - cheaper than using my credit card which charges a 2% conversion fee now.<BR><BR>My ATM card did fail to work in one bank machine in Paris, but I went to one across the street and got money no problem. There are ATM machines everywhere in France.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:43 AM
five digits

I think that 4-digit PIN code info is either no longer valid or was never valid. I've never known a 5 or 6 digit PIN coder to have any problems.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:38 PM
jetset

Thank you for providing informative replies.