Search

Athens Hotels ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:28 PM
jop

Athens Hotels ?

Looking for excellent accomodations in Athens in an upscale hotel. Any suggestions ? Also wondering if anyone has stayed at the Intercontinental and can give their impressions of this hotel. Many Thanks.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:17 PM
bill

Try the GRANDE BRETAGNE, the best !!!!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:52 PM
jef-europe

The grande bretagne(starwood) is now under renovation and will reopen in march/april 2003.<BR>The same for the hilton.<BR><BR>Both of them will be brand new,elegant hotels with the best amenities.<BR><BR>If you plan to visit athens before april 2003,the intercon is a good choice.<BR>An other option ,if you wish to relax is the Divani Apollon in Kavouri member of the leadings hotels of the world.<BR>It is an upscale resort on a splendid beach with many restaurants and cafes and just 30/35 min from Athens center.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Boo

Hi.<BR><BR>I stayed at the Intercontinental several years ago and it was fine; you'll find the kind of amenities that you'd expect. As I recall, however, the hotel was not within walking distance of anything worthwhile. You'll need to use car/taxi/shuttle for your travels.<BR><BR>You're welcome.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:38 AM
jop

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Was planning to go early in the new year but if the mentioned hotels are presently being renovated, I will look into other accomm. Thanks again. I wll look into the Divani Apollon.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Ruth

We stayed at the Divani Caravelle (in Athens) last year and it was very pleasant, with a rooftop pool.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Hyalker

As an alternative suggestion, you could stay at the Astir Palace Resort in Voulagmenis, about 20 minutes from the center by cab. I stayed in Athens for work for 7 weeks over 2 trips and I could easily get into the city to see the sites, enjoy the restaurants, etc. while the Nafsika hotel (one of three hotels at the resort) has gorgeous views of sunsets on the water, has pools/tennis court, etc. There are some nice restaurants for seafood close by. Upscale price although the decor is 70's but it was a nice balance to the hustle and bustle of Athens.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 09:36 AM
jop

Thanks for other hotel suggestions. Will check into them as well.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Byron

We stayed in the Atheneum Intercontinental this past September. It is a very good hotel. We rated it under fodors hotels Atheneum Intercontinental. You can see our rating and remarks.