Search

Hotel in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:01 PM
Dale

Hotel in Athens

Considering staying at the Ledra Marriott in April. Have lots of Marriott points but this Marriott is either expensive or will suck up more of my points than I want to give. We're 50 & our only child will be away at The Citadel, so luxury is [much] less important than convenience. And price is certainly an issue.<BR><BR>There were good comments about Plaka-located small hotels (Electra Palace, Hotel Amazon, etc.). Comments?<BR><BR>Also, generally speaking, will 4 or 5 days be adequate to get the flavor of Athens/Greece (yea, I know we *could* spend much longer there but we'd like to hit a Brussels or Amsterdam on the way home)<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>Dale & Kathy<BR>[email protected]<BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:36 AM
meg

We stayed at the Attalos Hotel, 29 Athinas Street Tel 3212 8013 fax 3243 124 website www.attalos.gr It's near the Plaka. Had great view of the Acropolis from our balcony. Not luxurious but comfortable and very near shops, restaurants of the Plaka. 4-5 days should be fine for Athens. We spent 3 days there and fitted in visits to the Parthenon, the National Gallery as well as lots of walking and sitting in cafes watching the world go by.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Yiannis

Dear Athens visitor,<BR><BR>The Athens Marriott it's not anything special (even for a Marriott) so I wouldn't spend my points on the specific one. I would rather stay closer to the center, making it easier to walk to the historic center of Athens. In the same group of hotels there is the chain of Grecotel hotels (part of TUI group I believe) and many other smaller hotels, like Electra palace, Divani Caravel, etc look around the forums/ websites and choose one of these. PS&gt; If you stay for 5 days I think it's enough, and I would suggest one of these days to visit one of the small islands close to Athens to get a flavor of the Islands. Try Hydra, Spetses, Aegina or Tzia (the last island is on the other side of Athens, from Lavrio port). You can either take a hydrofoil-type boat or reserve a tour which takes you to more than one island in one day.<BR><BR>Enjoy Athens, although a little bit of mess because of the 2004 Games construction.<BR>PS2&gt; The National Archeological Museum in Athens will be closing soon for a total renovation, check before you visit.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:08 AM
greek

I finally have to weigh in on the Attalos. Stayed there based on recommendations here and Matt Barratt's Greek site. All I can say is that it is NOT A GOOD HOTEL! At least for me. It is clean, and centrally located, those are the good things. But the rooms are depressing, the bathrooms smaller than small, and absolutely no charm whatsoever. Good for students or for those whose only concern is how much they pay for hotels. Not for anyone interested in comfort, or for gaining one iota of pleasure from their hotel choice.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
hailbuzzy

We too are in need of recommendations of your favorite Athens hotel. We'd like to stay in the Plaka area if possible. The Plaka and Achilleas Hotels that were our first choices are all booked for our dates in October. Any other suggestions would be MOST appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Sue

Recommend Acropolis View Hotel; about 10 min. walk from Plaka, quiet neighborhood, clean, friendly, and reasonable. Try a search here, and you will probably find lots of info about it. <BR>Have fun in Greece!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:48 PM
sophy

Royal Olympic- elegant, clean, walking distance to Acropolis & Plaka & very reasonably priced. Breakfast included. Service great!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
Mia

I wouldn't call the Royal Olympic elegant. It is a big tourist hotel.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Laurie

I"ve heard that the Royal Olympic was recently renovated and is now quite nice. At least I hope so, I'll be staying there for a few nights--I'm leaving for Greece tomorrow.<BR><BR>Mia, how long ago did you stay there?<BR><BR>Laurie

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:05 PM
soph

Mia- good luck finding any hotel in Athens that is not touristy. Laurie you will like it there- they are very hospitable- the rooms are very clean & comfie & they have great breakfast. Plus the Acropolis & Plaka are a 5min walk from the hotel.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
Laurie

Soph: Thanks, the web site makes it look very nice and the location is good. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:03 PM
elef

do not spend your miles for the Marriott, and keep them for a more expensive location.<BR><BR>The Ledra -Marriott is a pleasant hotel,with recently renovated rooms.<BR>Its location is more convenient for executives dealing with companies established on the Syngrou Av.<BR><BR>For leisure travelers, there are no shops,cafes,restaurants etc...around ,and Plaka and the Acropolis are NOT within 5 min walk (15 to 25 min) .<BR>Due to works for the olympics ,access to the city's center may be difficult by bus or cab and there is no direct access to the metro.<BR><BR>I would suggest as better locations the Herodion hotel on rovertou galli st, <BR>or the Divani Acropolis.<BR><BR>Or -this is my favourite choice-one of the beach resort hotels on the city's coastline in Glyfada or Vouliagmeni.(30 to 45 min by bus or cab)<BR>Spend a few hours for sightseeing around acropolis/museums and athens and then cool off and relax on the beach before dinning in one of the hundreds of goods restaurants...<BR><BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
soph

elef- we were not talking about the Marriot -we are talking about the Royal Olympic which is a 5 min walk from the acropolis