Athens & Pelopennese Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some of the favorite hotels at which to stay in Athens & Nafplion?

I'd like to stay in the heart of Athens so we don't have to walk/ride too far to the Acropolis. In Nafplion, I'd just like to be near a public transportation depot.

I'm looking for a room for two people, with a bath. Also, I'm a bit of a budget traveler but I'm not interested in hostels. I'd like to stay for around 80 Euro or $100 USD but I'm up for saving on that amount as well. We'll be traveling the first week and a half of October 2006.

--Laura
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM

In Athens, the Plaka Area hotels are best-suited for ease of access to the Acropolis as well as the Metro.

Attalos Hotel, Cecil Hotel, Acropolis View Hotel, Plaka Hotel, Arethusa Hotel and Pan Athens Hotel are a few of them.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I agree with Brotherleelove for the Athens hotels, the Attalos is my favorite but the Cecil is nice, Pan Hotel was ok but worked in a pinch. In Nafplio I stayed at the Byron and was very happy, it should fall in your budget unless it's gone up a lot in 3 years.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM

The rooftop garden overlooking the Acropolis from Attalos Hotel is unbeatable.
Attalos itself is a budget hotel loved by people who prefer to spend their money on sights and dining rather than the hotel. We paid 62Euro in June this year. We used Uli at Dolphin Hellas and got the room for less than we could have if we booked over the internet.

In Nafplion we walked up to Hotel Illion which is in a 400 year old Mansion. We could have had a room there for 90E. They also have studios just around the corner but even better than the hotel, they have balconies overlooking the ocean and fortress. They also have small kitchens. Walk up price was 80 euros. We elected to stay at Pension Eleni in a lovely ocean view room for 40 euros.
Beware, few hotels in Nafplion are drive ups, you have to walk and everything is uphill it seems.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM

It has been a few years, but we found a hotel in Nauplion without reservation. Had a book and walked up (as the other poster said). They had rooms, but I wanted a view. The owner took me farther up the hill to his cousin's place, which was perfect. In October prices should be negotiable. Our usual method is to leave husband with luggage on the town square (or in the car, if we are driving) while I take my list of recommended hotels and check them out.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Hotel Byron in Nafplion is lovely-- a great location in Old Town, and I look forward to returning in a year or two

Last month, I paid about 85 Euro for a double. Room # 4 (top of the "lower, newer" building) didn't have an exemplary view, but was very nice, very spacious, had a small private patio, and had a great little bathroom with a "real" shower and lots of hot, high pressure water.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I agree, Hotel Byron is definitely the best. In Athens, you could check out Hotel Athos on Patrou St. in the Plaka. It used to be a great deal but the prices seem to have risen since the olympics.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM

We stayed at the Nafsimedon Hotel, which is a small hotel converted from a Manor house in Nauplion. There is a picture of the hotel at www.dilos.com, who we also reserved the room through and had no problem with the reservations. The price was also right for our budget.

It is just on the fringe of the walking only area. We rented a car to tour the Peloponesse, and parked it just around the corner. It was an easy walk to the Plaka. The public transportation was next to the park.
But beware when we were there the Tourist office was hopeless for information, the hotel had much better information.

The Hotel is right across the street from a Park and there is a direct view of the castle on the hill. Breakfast was in the courtyard, and we had the most wonderful homemade fig jam for the bread. If you don't like the traditional greek breakfast, there is a bakery next door. The rooms are nice, but not like a five star hotel. They were just right.

When we decided not to drive back to Athens, (don't drive yourself in Athens!) the lady at the front desk, who spoke good english, arranged a mercades taxi for us for a very reasonable rate, which I think was cheaper than the rental car daily rate. We had rented the car through Hertz rental which had a rental agency down the street and was able to drop off the car at the hotel instead.

When I go back to greece my first reservation will be at the Nafsimedon Hotel.

I Athens I splurged and stayed at the Hotel Marriott Ledra, which was incredible, except for the location. Be prepared for lots of wild Greek cab rides to get to the Plaka.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:54 AM

We were in Naplion last October and it was the only place where I didn't have a reservation. We visited a couple of hotels once we got there and settled on Pension Amymone. It was 90 euros, beautiful room, internet access, nice balcony, etc., with a DELICIOUS breakfast (home made bread, jams, butter, mmmmmmmm). It is also very easy to get to (much more than Byron for example), and smack in the middle of everything. We absolutely loved it and the owners are great! http://www.amymone.gr/
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Hotel AETOMA is in the heart of the old city, about 3 blocks from the bus station. It is very elegant, nicely priced, and the family that runs it was extremely accomodating and helpful. It
was by far the most beautiful and relaxing five days that we had during our 25 days in Greece. Travelling by the public bus is comfortable, inexpensive, and there are frequent trips to all of the surrounding sites. The hotel itself serves a wonderful breakfast, and is very elegant and comfortable. (less than 100 EU per night for a triple) There is a balcony looking out over the narrow streets, and is right next to St. Spyridonas church. I can not say enough about our stay in this wonderful hotel, it was definately the highlight of our trip.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:19 AM

In Athens we stayed at the Attalos. The accomodations were just fine - clean rooms, great bathtubs. Rooms were smallish, but we didn't spend much time in the rooom, anyway. The hotel is centrally located, an easy walk to everything except the National Museum. Great rooftop bar, 2 blocks from the Metro.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM

mojojojo - did you reserve the Aetoma Hotel in Nafplion prior to arrival or did you walk up? If prior, then can you tell me the website/email address that you used to reserve the hotel?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM

remedy451 - if you google the hotel aetoma in nauplion, it should come up. i can not say enough nice things about this place, i would love to go back to nauplion soon, visit the town again, and stay in this hotel.....