Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taking a bus from Korcula to Dubrovnik , help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving in Korcula by ferry (coming from Hvar) and will be leaving for Dubrovnik on a Sunday. There is no ferry/catamaran service on Sunday. We checked the bus schedule and there are two busses, one at 6:45 am and the other around 2 pm. Has anyone had the opportunity to take one of these busses? Wondering if we need reservations and if we will have trouble taking our luggage (4 people, 2 small bags each). Thanks again, Fodorites. Sasi
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:44 AM

I've never had any problem buying a ticket just before the bus departs (perhaps in July/August there would be a slight chance of crowds). There is a luggage hold for your bags. It is a wonderfully scenic drive, so sit on the right side (sjedalo is seat assignment)!
Note: I would confirm the times the day before just in case, timetables found online are not always reliable--(oh and could you post the site where you found the timetable because I'm returning to K. next month and will be taking that bus myself, thanks!)
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Yorkshire, I don't remember where I found the bus schedule and just tried to bring it up with no luck. I thought I went to Korcula.net but didn't find it. I'll keep trying, though, as I should take it with me!
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I don't think you will have any problem. I have not taken the bus from Korcula town to on the Ferry to Orebic on the mainland, but Korcula town is not really that big. Just ask for the bus station soon after you arrive, and go inquire/make reservations, as necessary. Most everyone speaks English, and they will be most helpful.

You will Love Croatia!

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Wait a minute, Sasi, I just reread your post, and perhaps we are thinking of different ferries. There is a catamaran ferry that stops at the island of Korcula on it's way from Split. Stops at Hvar town, then on to the town of Vela Luca, which is on the other end of the island from the town of Korcula. If you are coming from Hvar, perhaps this is the one you are talking about.

There is a bus that I have taken runs from Vela Luca to Korcula town and back. You do need reservations on that one, and it does not run often.

Hope I haven't confused things completely.

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Yorkshire, here is the website for the bus! http://www.korcula-croatia.com/bus-t...la-croatia.htm Hopefully, this will help you. I note that the bus is at 2:45 pm not 2:00! I trust that when it says "Korcula", it means Korcula Town. We are staying in the old town.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM

The bus timetable for Korcula is on www.korculanet.net.
Departures for Dubrovnik are apparently at 0645 and 1545.
If you're worried about buying tickets, ask at Korcula bus station.
Jadrolinija's summer timetables show the LIBURNIJA leaving Korcula on Sundays at 0700 for Dubrovnik (www.jadrolinija.hr).
If you arrive from Hvar at the port of Vela Luka ("big harbour" in Croatian), there are connecting buses to Korcula town.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Sometimes they charge extra for each bag. It's not much--but I saw a couple tourists argue with the driver about it.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:24 AM

On long distance buses in Croatia, there is a charge for luggage. The driver will stick a ticket on the luggage and give the passenger a receipt. The charge is small and I cannot understand the mentality of a tourist who would complain: Croatian bus fares are cheap by international standards.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. I feel alot better about figuring out the bus situation, etc. Only 3 more weeks until we blast off from LAX (going to London, spending the night and flying to Split the next day). Our itinerary is as follows: (in case anyone is interested)
1 night Split (taking cataraman)
2 nights Hvar " "
2 nights Korcula " "
4 nights Dobrovnik (going to Kotor 1day)
renting car in Dobrovnik
1 night Trogir
2 nights Plitvice
2 nights Istria (Dol)
2 nights Bled, Slovenia
2 nights in Easter Slovenia (vineyards!)
1 night near Zagreb, flying out Zagreb
We are ready! Welcome any comments. Sasi