Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels: Metropolis, Economy or Tempi in Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More hotel questions again! I have so appreciated the advice I got for Santorini and Crete, I figured I would bother everyone again for help with Athens

I have narrowed down our hotel options to three for our stay July 1-3 in Athens (based on our budget and location) but my husband and I are having trouble deciding... any help would be appreciated! All the prices I listed below are for a double room with ensuite.

1) Hotel Tempi www.tempihotel.gr - 60 Euros night, great location (on a pedestrian street, which appeals to us because of the quiet aspect). Some reviews RAVE about how great it is, while others say how disgusting it is!

2) Hotel Metropolis www.hotelmetropolis.gr - 70 Euros, great location (is it worth the extra Euros?)

3) Economy Hotel www.economyhotel.gr - 60 Euros, farther out from main sights but includes breakfast (have seen complaints about being across from a sexshop???)

Basically, there are mixed reviews about all the hotels on this website and tripadvisor. We aren't looking for luxury, our main criteria is clean and central to tourist attractions (with walking distance). Is there a large difference between locations of Tempi versus Metropolis?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM

We stayed at the Tempi last May and again in June, one night each time. it is very, very basic - teeny rooms, but it is clean and the owners are very sweet. Perfectly fine if you are on a budget... and how much time are you in your hotel room anyway? It is on a quiet, lovely street and is very close to both the Monistiraki metro station and the Plaka... and Psiri for that matter.
This May I will stay at the Attalos... more expensive than the Tempi, but a better hotel. I am not traveling w/ my husband but with a dear old friend who has never seen Athens... Hubby and I can rough it better, as Athens is usually a quick stop on the way to our island of choice... but this time with a few days in Athens for sightseeing, the Attalos will be better suited for my friend.
I think the Tempi is a fine choice... you can always request one of their larger rooms that have windows that open onto something other than the wall of the building right next door - we didn't know better when we stayed there.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:03 PM

I just checked out the website of the Metropolis... if it is anything like it is touted on it's site, it is a far better hotel than the Tempi. I would say it would be worth researching further.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM

IMO the Tempi is a pokey little dump, I looked in at it and then left. The Nefeli is a nice hotel, hopefully the owner is not as grumpy as he was last time I stayed there but it is a much better hotel than the Tempi. It is in the Plaka. It does not feature much on websites but seems to cater more for locals, also the Arethusa is great, I stayed there also and the location can't be beaten and the staff are the best, the breakfasts are excellent. The only drawback is it seems they have not refurbished it as many of the other Athens hotels were for the Olympic Games.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Having just read tripadvisor, I would say go for the Metropolis, it's in an excellent location. sounds like the Arethusa has slipped and that the owner of Nefeli is still grumpy, thank goodness for traveller reviews keeping us up to date, hotel standards can change so rapidly.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM

I've just tracked down this rather long-winded reply I wrote to a question about the Metropolis some weeks ago. I can definitely recommend it, but you do say that 'quiet' appeals to you and I wonder about the church bells? The hotel itself isn't noisy; the street, Mitropoleos is quite narrow and although there's a lot of traffic, there aren't any bars, etc, apart from a restaurant next door. We went past just a few days ago: it was a beautiful sunny day and it looked very attractive with bougainvillea climbing up the walls! Here's what I wrote:
"We've stayed at the Metropolis several times, in 2002 and 2003. Previously we'd always gone to the Hotel Hera, but they closed for renovations before the Olympics. The price of the room there had decreased for us over the years, so that we were only paying about half price! We had to find something cheaper, and we chose the Metropolis BECAUSE of the location. I loved hearing the bells from the Cathedral across the street and being able to see the dome from my bed – but I have read posts about the Magna Grecia boutique hotel a little further down Mitropoleos street where the posters have complained about the bells chiming every hour throughout the night! Noise is not an issue for us – just as well, as when we were there, they were excavating a tunnel for the Metro just opposite, day and night! That's all finished now – there's just a grassy area, with flower beds. The hotel is right on the edge of Plaka, and well placed for our favourite café, the Metropol, in the Cathedral Square. Also, Ermou Street, parallel to Mitropoleos, has excellent shops! The rooms we had at the Metropolis did seem a bit small after the Hera, but we liked it very much. It's family run, and the people couldn't have been more kind and helpful. It's very clean, and it has been renovated since we were there. We've lived in Athens since 2004, so we haven't needed a hotel, otherwise we would certainly have wanted to stay there. There's a website: www.hotelmetropolis.gr. By the way, don't expect beautiful views of the cathedral – it isn't very typical of Orthodox church architecture, and it's been covered in scaffolding for years! Beautiful chanting on Sunday mornings, though. There are some very old, small churches nearby, which are worth a visit. Hope this helps."
I've also read enthusiastic reports about the Arethusa - it looks much more luxurious though!

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 11:51 PM

Nikoletta, very interesting comments. I still don't think the Arethusa has been updated and although I had a very pleasant stay there, it is definitely tired and in need of a refurbishment. The Metropolis looks as though it has little wooden beds such as you find in pensions in the Greek islands, would this be true? However, the location is excellent and at the right price and nice hospitality and cleanliness this is what I would be looking for on my next trip to Greece which will either be this year or next spring. I think the Arethusa unfortunately has become overpriced. The Magna Grecia certainly looks like a very nice hotel but being woken up every hour by church bells, no matter how melodic would not make for a pleasant holiday.
As you now live in Athens have you heard any comments recently on the Adrian Hotel? It is on Adrianou St, the pedestrian mall of the Plaka.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Kathy - Actually, I've found that I'm a bit out of touch with Athens hotels, now I don't stay in them! I've no personal experience of the Adrian, but three of my former students stayed there for a week one July and were very happy, and a London barrister friend ALWAYS stays there. I entered it in the search box at the top of this page and got 24 threads: here's one that deals specifically with the Adrian:
Author: tom_h
Date: 10/08/2006, 03:05 pm
"I stayed at the Adrian hotel last May. The word "adequate", not "memorable" comes to mind. Rates started at about 130 Euro.

Rear facing rooms on the 2nd floor and above do have nice acropolis views, and the rear is very quiet despite the Adrian being on Adrianou street.

The Adrian has a rooftop breakfast terrace with fine views, but no bar or evening service.

The Adrian is clean and has a great location in Plaka."

It seems to be more expensive than I'd have thought. Beds in the Metropolis: I think they were normal 'single' size! - We've also had a double bed, which didn't seem cramped!We were always very comfortable: In Feb. 2003 we spent more time in bed than we'd anticipated as we both got 'flu towards the end of our stay (we were there for two weeks). The people couldn't have been kinder - they kept giving us more blankets!

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM

Hi Nikoletta
Another good post from you, thanks, it looks like the Metropolis has the vote for now, the Magna Grecia if I win lotto before coming over and with a set of ear plugs. The Adrian now looks a bit overpriced for what is on offer. However once again the location is great for all three. It's not easy when firstly there are so many to choose from and all with widely varying standards.
Talia, if you stay at Metropolis maybe you could post a report, you would be there before me, if I go this year will have to be in august/september.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Absolutely! I have decided to stay at the Metropolis, and am just waiting to hear back from them to confirm the reservation. I will post back here after. Thanks for everyone's help again!