Search

HELP Athens hotels 3 choices

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Athens hotels 3 choices

I have price qoutes for
Hotel Attalos for 120 cndn per night, Hotel Phillipos for 140 and Hotel Athens city Plaza for also 140. (this is the 3 star athens plaza not the 5 star one.)I can't decide which one to choose.We will also be taking our baby daughter. Which one do you recommend. Any suggestions would help, thanks.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:46 AM

I havent heard of the first one, but we did stay at Hotel Heridion which is the sister property of Phillipos. It was an average 3.5 star hotel but had great service. Its in a great area, close to the Acropolis...and is close to plaka. The Athens city plaza in Ommonia square..is kind of in a seedy area, I would stay away from it. we were booked there but transferred to their syntagma square hotel as soon as we reached there, on one trip!
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Hotel Heridion? I am searching for that, but cannot find it. Is the spelling wrong perchance?
Also, we are staying at the Amaryllis Inn. We got a pretty low rate.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Proper spelling is Herodion. Here's a link to the hotel website:

http://www.herodion.gr/indexhframe.htm
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM

A few of us stayed at Attalos last May and June. For the price, it was great value. It's just a couple of blocks to the Plaka district, a block from the subway system, and has a great view to the Acropolis from its rooftop garden/bar and some of the rooms. Our room was nice, clean and the staff were great. There was nothing like having a nice cold beer on the rooftop garden at the end of the day before going out for the evening. We will definitely stay there again next time we're in Athens!
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I have stayed at the Attalos twice and the Phillipos twice, as well as at the Herodian, which is the sister hotel to the Phillipos. (I've also stayed at other Athens' hotels, but these are the once you asked about). The Attalos is on a very busy street (Athinas) just down from the Athens central market, and bordering on the Psirri district, in which there are lots of really good restaurants, art galleries and clubs. The Phillipos and Herodian are on quiet side streets very near the Acropolis. I am not as big a fan of the Attalos as many people on this board, and don't think I would stay there again. The bathrooms are tiny tiny tiny, the rooms aren't much bigger, and especially if you have a room facing Athinas street, it is really loud. The last time I stayed at the Attalos was on a very hot day, and the air conditioning was barely working. It is definitely a budget hotel. It is where I would have stayed when I was in college when all I needed a room for was a shower and a couple hours in bed and not much more, if you understand what I'm saying.
Both the rooms and the bathrooms are larger in the Phillipos, and because of the location it is very quiet. We were last there in October, and found the room to be very clean and pleasant, and the staff to be helpful. The rooms seemed to be slightly nicer in the Herodian, but not appreciably so.
For me, especially with a baby, it would not be a close call -- I would go for the Phillipos. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:01 PM

I agree with Eleni as for the Attalos.
If you favour a top view to the Acropolis-from your room and from a roof garden) and a direct acces to the new pedestrian walkway- wich links all archeological sites- go for the Herodion(now the hotel has been fully refurbished,the food and service are outstanding).