Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possible to Do Pompeii AND Museum in Naples in the Same Day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning to leave Rome via train to Naples in the morning so we can transfer to the Pompeii ruins and arrive there by 9 or 10 am. In that same day, after seeing the ruins, we would like to go back to Naples (before returning to Rome in the evening)to visit the National Archeological Museum.

Is this all possible in one day? How long does it usually take to get to the ruins from Naples and how can I find timetable for the Circumvesuvia train? Also, how long does it typically take to tour the ruins?

I would like to be able to have at least 2 hours in the museum after we visit the ruins, but I have no idea how much time getting to and from the ruins is going to eat up, and how long it takes to get a good feel of the ruins themselves.

Any tips or advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM

as for train - from Naples Centrale take the short passageway to the adjoining CircumVesuviana station where trains depart at least twice hourly i believe and take about an hour to get to Pompeii Scavi station right at the ruins' entrance. Note CircumVesuviana trains go to other locales as well so get on the right one.

How long to tour ruins - hard to tell some folks a few hours more than enough, others need days.

But it seems, depending on museum hours you can do it - museum is i think a few miles from Naples train station.

You don't need train schedules as they run constantly it seems every day.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Sorrento Info circumvesuviana timetable local train from sorrento ...Local Train - Circumvesuviana. Local Train - Circumvesuviana. TIMETABLE S.F.S.M. CIRCUMVESUVIANA (Local train).
http://www.sorrentoinfo.com/timetabl...n_sorrento.htm

says trains leave twice an hour from Naples.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM

It's very easy to do. Most people do Pompei first then the Museum. So Pompei is busier in the morning. Just remember the Museum is closed Tuesdays unlike other museums in Italy. planetware.com is great for getting operating hours of attractions. Just type in Naples, Italy and then click on attractions and go from there.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks. Yeah, I don't forsee myself spending more than a few hours at the ruins. If anything, the lack of shade and probable heat will get to me before long (I'm pretty heat sensitive, having a history of heatstroke), so I wouldn't want to stay so long that I got miserable and stopped enjoying the sights. Plus, I'm much more the museum type -- I like the minutiae of everyday life.