Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Munich and Berlin for couple and parents

Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are traveling with my parents to Munich and Berlin at the end of August. We have been looking at the hotel Cortiina in Munich (we have heard good things about that area of town), but would like more suggestions.
I have been to Berlin once before, but don't remember much about the different areas, so any hotel input would be great.
None of us are "hotel snobs" but we do like something clean, nice and in a good area of town. If you have any suggestions under 200 euro, that would be best... but over is not a huge deal.
Also, would you recommend a hotel with air conditioning at that time of year in Germany?
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM

If you're willing to use the "name your own price" capability on Priceline you may luck out in both cities. We snagged the four-year old Marriott in Berlin for $55USD/night for a double in 2004; you may not do quite as well these days. The hotel is very well located and was very comfy. Many people on this site have used PL for hotels in Munich as well. We don't typically stay in American hotels when we travel in Europe.

Go to biddingfortravel.com for a tutorial on using Priceline. Make sure you know exactly how to bid before you wade in. There is a learning curve, but the rewards are substantial. The PL moderators will even help you construct your bid, but you must do your homework first.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM

We didn't use priceline, but stayed in the same Marriott on Potsdamerplatz last week for 119 euro per night. It is immaculate and the staff were excellent. It is airconditioned, and right around the corner from the U bahn.

If you do book through the Marriott website, verify the price often - it does change, sometimes dramatically, and most reservations are cancellable up until the same day.
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi I,

You might want to consider www.hotel-uhland.de in Munich.

Apr 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM

My standard hotel in Munich is the Hotel Astoria in Schwabing, just off Leopoldstrasse and very near an entrance to the Englischer Garten.

The Geiselastrasse U-Bahn station is a short walk south along Leopoldstrasse.
Marienplatz is the 3th stop down; Odeonsplatz is the 2nd.

It is convenient to the art museums, in fact we walked there last summer.

The area is a mix of residential and businesses. Banks, department stores, food stores, restaurants, and gelato places are all around.

The Astoria has large rooms by European standards if you use 301 and 401.

The breakfast is out of sight. The variety is very great and the quality of the food is extremely high. You have a selection of several cheeses, breads, fruits, cereals, beverages - juices, meats, and yogurts. I am sure you could stuff in 2,000 calories for breakfast without much difficulty.