Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train trip to Pompeii.... How do I know which train runs along coast?

Mar 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I am planning a day trip to Pompeii and I am wondering if there is any way to tell which trains actually run along the coast vs. inland when going from Rome to Naples.

I would like to take the coastal route as I am sure that the views must be amazing. Does anyone know which trains run which routes?

Also, I know that there are many threads on this, but is it best to get the audio tour or get a guide at the gate? Lastly, how much time is best to allow for Pompeii and a visit to the museum in Naples (when taking into account returning to Rome that eveing).

Thanks.
Mar 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Don't know about coastal route from Rome to Naples, but you'll see the coast on the Circumvesuviana rail from Naples to Pompeii (sit on the right side of the train).

Have never done audio tour nor hired a guide, but I hear the audio tour is good.

I don't know about trying to have a meaningful (i.e. not too fast) visit to Pompeii AND the Naples Museum in one day before trying to return to Rome. I wouldn't, personally, because I have a vested interest in antiquities and would not want to hurry.

But I leave others who may have done that to comment on it. I have done Pompeii as a daytrip from Rome and felt rushed, myself. I didn't do the museum that day. I visited the museum on another trip when I was staying a few nights in Sorrento.
Mar 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM
ira

Hi LB,

There is one track from Naples to Rome. You can't choose.

You will get a nice view of the Bay of Naples and some Roman acqueducts.

If you want to see the museum and Pompeii in one day, you will want to take the 07:25 out of Rome TE.

Upon arrival at Naples Centrale, take the Metro to Piazza Cavour. There are signs showing the way to the Museum.

Remember to buy your metro ticket before going down to the trains.

Returning to Naples Centrale, take the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Pompei Scavi.

There are 4 trains leaving Naples for Rome between 6 and 7 PM.

Mar 30th, 2006, 10:23 AM

thanks ira.
Mar 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I have always taken a train down from Rome's Termini train station directly into Napoli's Centrale train station. It runs inland, sometimes parallel to the coast with glimpses of ocean now and then, but the route is not an ocean view journey (like many of the trains along the Italian Riviera). Plan on the train taking approx. 2.5 hours. Once at the Napoli Centrale train station, stay in the station and walk over and down to the Circumvesuviana trains (direction: Sorrento) and exit the "Pompeii Scavi" stop. You can then walk across the street to the entrance of Pompeii.

Re: a guide, I just took the paper guide/pamphlet and read as I walked along. However, if you want a more thorough orientation, the audio guide would probably be best. Allow enough time to see everything as Pompeii is huge. We were there for nearly 4 hours and still missed seeing a lot of stuff!

If you still want to see the Naples Archaeological Museum back in Naples afterward, then you should definitely start out very early from Rome (6:30/6:45 am train), arrive Pompeii ~9:00 am, stay until 2:00 or 3:00 pm, Circumvesuviana train back into Naples, bus or walk to the museum. I would allow at least 2 hours to see the museum. From there, back to the station and train up to Rome should get you in before 10:00 pm.
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

The reason I am asking about the two routes is that in the "Fodors: Italy 2006" book it states that the trains either take the inland route (through Cassino) or the coastal route (via Formia) from Rome to Naples.

Yeah, I am thinking that the 0745 train is the way to go. I am assuming that metro service starts early. I believe that it is 0530 so I don't anticipate any problems with that.

Mar 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM

The new high-speed line between Roma and Napoli goes via Cassino. It is used by AV (Alta Velocita) trains which take 1 hour 27 minutes. The old line via Formia is used by all other trains, including Eurostar and Intercity. This line does not offer many views of the coast: the only place between Roma and Napoli where you can see the sea is Formia.
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Since your day is tight anyway, taking the Alta Velocita at 7:25 that gets you to Napoli Centrale in 1 hr 27 min gives you almost an hour more in Naples and Pompeii than if you take the 7:45 train that takes 1 hr 53 min.
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
ira

Thank you, Geoff, I had forgotten about the new AV.

Saves 0:20 min, costs less than 3E extra.

Mar 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

So let's see if I have this straight....

According to the above post, I have to take the train from Rome at 0725 and arrive at the Napoli Centrale. From there I would have to get on the Circumvesuviana line to the Pompei Scavi site.

Sounds clear, but when I get on the Trenitalia site it states that I have to take 3 trains to get to Pompei! From the Napoli Centrale I would have to take the "Tratta urbana non FS del Napoli Centrale to Napoli P.za Garibaldi" and then connect with "Napoli P.za Garibaldi (09:16) to Pompei (09:39)".

Isn't the train to Pompeii Scavi and in the same station as the Napoli Centrale.

For those of who have done this aleady, please forgive my lack of knowledge of Italian train travel.
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:24 AM
bellastarr

Little Bella-
I like your name, for obvious reasons!
Huitres has it right. When you arrive at the Train station in Naples, you go downstairs to get to the Entrance to the Circumsuviana Train (the Circumsuviana Ticket Booth is on the way to the train. It's a commuter train, and there are two Stops marked Pompeii. You want the one that says "Pompeii Scavi". The first time I took this train, I was not sure of myself, so I just kept asking others, and repeating "Pompeii Scavi" to be sure I was doing it right. The entrance to Pompeii is near the train, and there are trains running back and forth to Naples often. Buon viaggio!

Mar 31st, 2006, 01:31 AM

There are at least three stations in Pompei. One is on the Trenitalia main line, and the others are on the Circumvesuviana system which has two lines through Pompei. The Circumvesuviana web site www.vesuviana.it.
The ruins are not in the modern city of Pompei. The station adjacent to the ruins is Pompei Scavi, also known as Villa dei Misteri, on the Circumvesuviana line to Sorrento, so you should look for trains with Sorrento as their final destination.
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:01 AM

The Circumvesuvia is fairly easy to find once in the Naples Central station. There are signs everywhere for it, pointing you in the right direction. We just followed them until we got to the tracks.

Tracy
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi LB,

>when I get on the Trenitalia site it states that I have to take 3 trains to get to Pompei! <

That's taking you to the city, not to the excavations.

You want the Circumvesuviana train, which is downstairs.

Have a nice visit.

Mar 31st, 2006, 08:20 AM

ParadiseLost has a good thread with directions, very complete, on how to do the daytrip effectively. Type "ParadiseLost" in the search function, or else type in Pompeii daytrip and you'll see it. I can't figure out how to post a link to that thread.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM

Once you get on the Cirumvesuviano train it takes 40/50 mins to Pompei..
I wouldn't think of trying to do the Archaelogical Museum in Naples on the same day.(its good but not half so good as the place itself) I've been to Pompei many times and still haven't scratched the surface!! When you get to the Forum turn left & there is a welcome Cafeteria where you can get a bite & cold drinks (vital if its hot!!)& the loo where an old lady will demand payment!) The Forum Baths are just along from here. Also nearby the House of the Faun (Casa del Fauno). From the Forum you can wander down the Via del Abbondanza (main street) & see more baths, shops, bars,original graffiti etc & end up at the amphitheatre & gladiators barracks. Its all wonderful but you will need very stout footwear (which will get filthy)& a degree of imagination. Apart from the main buildings not all the houses are open all the time so just go into any you can find that aren't locked. ps hold onto your valuables in Naples!!
Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM

Oh, when you go to the House of the Faun (Casa del Fauno) at Pompeii, head back past the atrium to just before the peristyle and find the room where the Alexander mosaic used to be. They've just installed an exact replica of the original so visitors can get a sense of how it looked. The original is in the Naples Museum. I haven't gotten to see the replica in situ yet, but I bet it gives a neat sense of the original experience.