Rome to Pompei, how?

Search

Rome to Pompei, how?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Pompei, how?

How is the best way to take a sidetrip to Pompei while based in Rome? Is it best to try for a daytrip or spend a night there?
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:14 AM

You can do it any way you want. There's a very nice hotel named the Hotel Forum close to the back gate of the scavi. You take the train from Rome to Naples. Then go down the stairs to the circumvesuviana and take that to Pompeii or Herculeum. Supposedly the second one is better because since it was closer to the volcano it was covered and protected with mud rather than lava and ash. I've only been to Pompeii. Another thought is to spend the night in Naples and take the train to Pompeii. If you stay in Naples, you can spend some time at the archeological museum and also see Pompeii.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:25 AM

Rome to Naples is about 2 hours on the train. See www.trenitalia.com for timetables. Napoli to Pompeii is anything from 25 to 40 minutes. Go to this site http://www.campaniatrasporti.it/sito_CT/cerca_toen.asp to check times on the Circumvesuviana train. The stop for Pompeii is "Pompeii Scavi Villa dei Misteri". The stop for Herculaneum is "Ercolano Scavi". More information about both places from http://www.pompeiisites.org. Enjoy.

www.vistaphotos.com
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:50 AM

I think it all depends on your flexibility with your days and your energy level. Also it depends on the amount that you want to spend. If there's a group of you, say 4 or 5, you could hire a private driver for (I think) about 500E for the day. I will be saying more about this in my trip report soon, but I traveled with my father to Rome. I wanted to stay there for 5 nights, and yet still go to Pompeii. I wanted to make things easier for my father as well. So we did the organized bus tour. The most annoying thing was the ride there, as they kept pointing out things from the highway and translating in 4 different languages. I would recommend headphones to avoid having to listen through all the languages. I was pretty miserable up until the time we got to Naples, and they drove us through pointing out the sites. The stops were also annoying, too many rest stops and the cameo factory. But Pompeii was amazing and I was happy to have a guide pointing out things to us. For the convenience and the cost (100E per person, includes lunch) it was worth it. I could have easily spent 5 hours at Pompeii though, and would have loved to see the museum in Naples. If you are able to spend 2 nights in Naples I would say do it that way.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM

You can do a one-day trip Rome to Pompei. Get up very early and follow the above posted train info. Spend a few hours at Pompei and then do the trains in reverse. Personally, I felt that one day was too ambitious, so I spent the night in Naples. I trained it to Naples on Monday, went the archeological museo, then Pompei on Tuesday and backt to Rome.