Search

Pompei

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
vivian

Pompei

We wanted to check out the ruins in pompei. We were planning to stay and Rome and do this as a day trip. Is this possible or is Pompei a two day sight seeing event?? Can we stay close to pompei or should we stay in Naples? Vivian<BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Vincenzo

Vivian,<BR>day trip from Rome to Pompei is possible.<BR>However, two days are better than one if you want to visit very well the ruins, including areas now opened and, maybe, also Herculaneum.<BR>Good hotel in Pompei and, better, in Naples and Penisola Sorrentina.<BR>Depending on period I could suggest better.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
Cousin Oliver

Pompeii definetly can be done as a day trip. When I lived in Naples, I took an early train to Pompeii and was dog tired by the end of the day. A train ride from Rome to Naples will take around two hours each way so factor that in; you may wish to stay in Naples. There's also a church just outside Pompeii proper, can't remember the name but it has a collection of cut hair from people whose prayers were answered.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:51 AM
AttyVette

We are traveling to Rome next week and plan on taking the train to Naples then switch to go to Pompeii. If you are going to be there the same time, maybe we can all travel there together.We are staying in Rome the whole time but traveling by train to Venice etc.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Emily

A day trip to Pompei is a popular trip for Rome tourists. There are multiple bus tour companies that offer this and many will pick you up directly at your hotel. We used Gray Line Tours when we did this trip from Rome and we were very pleased. The important question to ask is how much time will they actually be at Pompei. Many tours also visit Naples and cousin Vinny's souvenier shop so ask questions up front.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
McGuyver

I would go with green line tours about half the price of gray line look them up on the web tour had bus tour of naples lunch in pompei and a private guide of pompei that was a local guide not the one on the bus had a good 3 hours to see the ruins

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
dean

While one can do Pompeii in a day fromRome (there was an article in the NY Times Sunday June 23) I would not reccomend it. I spent 5 housr wandering Pompeii, 2 at Oplontis. Plus I would make a point of gointo to the Museo Arcologico Nazionale in Napoli. Lastly there is Ercoloan. So there is easily enough to fill 2 days. If you add a third day you can see Paestum as well.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:42 AM
Jim

Did a Carrani Tour from Rome to Pompeii and Sorrento in one long day early June. Left at 7:30 AM and returned at 9:30 PM. Long day, but very enjoyable. Plenty time at Pompeii, unless you are an archeology student, in which case you should be doing something else. Only complaint, and I think all bus tours are this way, we managed to make a couple of stops at some type of souvenier shop where we could spend some money. Thinly disguised as toilet stops. LOL

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Frank

Fully agree with Jim, the Carrani tour was excellant. Included a nice lunch in Pompeii, a drive along the bay of Naples, and a stop in Sorrento. Keep in mind that the ruins WILL be hot and dusty if you are going anytime soon. 2 or 3 hours, was in my opinion enough to get a good overview of the site with a local guide provided by the tour company. We went in May and the afternoon sun made more than a few hour stay uncomfortable.<BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
diane

How much is the Pompeii and Sorrento bus tour? Where can you book a tour from Rome?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Diane

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Frank

Diane: We picked up a brochure in the lobby of our hotel and had the hotel book the tour. I believe the price was in the $80 neighborhood, but seemed competitive when you consider the cost of the train, lunch, Pompeii guide and convenience factor.<BR><BR>The main companies offering tours of Rome and day-trips from Rome areBR><BR>VASTOURS<BR>www.adv.it/vastours/english<BR>APPIAN<BR>www.appianline.it/panorama.htm<BR>CARRANI<BR>www.romeguide.it/CARRANI/default.html<BR>GREENLINE<BR>www.romeguide.it/greenline/greenline_eng.htm<BR>AMERICAN EXPRESS (no website)<BR>Piazza di Spagna<BR>110 CITY TOUR (Stop 'n' Go)<BR>www.romavision.it/110citytour.htm<BR>ARCHEOBUS (Stop 'n' Go VIA APPIA Tour)<BR>www.romavision.it/archeobus.htm<BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Ken Slanker

Can you do this in one day? Absolutely. Would two days be better, yes. We did it in one day and it worked fine for us. Jump on train at Termini in Rome early. Get late train back from Napoli. When you get in Naples, go downstairs to Circumvesuviana Train to Pompeii. We spent $100 on Guide in Pompeii and probably allowed us to see more in a shorter period of time. By the way, when you get off train at Pompeii, go all the way down the hill and cross entrance to freeway. There is what appears to be a gas station, but is a Pizza place......it is wonderful and gives you a good start to the ruins.<BR><BR>One other suggestion, when taking the trains from Roma/Napoli and return....spend a couple of extra bucks and use the Eurostar. The FC trains are somewhat unreliable in terms of schedule and so forth.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Cindy

Its possible, but you really should stay in Naples. That way, you can see Pompeii, and Herculaneum, and go to the excellent Archaeology Museum in Naples.