Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip From Rome to Pompeii -- Is There Enough Time to Do Anything Else While There?

Search

Day Trip From Rome to Pompeii -- Is There Enough Time to Do Anything Else While There?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be doing a day trip from Rome to Pompeii (and then back to Rome the same day). Is there enough time to see the sites of Pompeii and then do something else in the area in the same day? If so, what?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:22 PM

You could view ruins of Herculeumn or tour Naples. There are some very nice views from Naples of the bay. There is actually a Norman castle in Naples too although I do not know if it is accessible. Sorry I can't be more help, I was stuck in a tour group when I went.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I strongly suggest visiting the Archeological Museum in Naples.It houses the artifacts found in Pompeii. Not to be missed is the "Secret Cabinet" a room dedicated to erotic mosaics,sculptures,etc. found in Pompeii.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM

It takes about six hours for a full tour of Pompeii's site, including a lunch break at the excellent on-site cafeteria. If you only have time for a day trip from Rome, I suggest that you sign up for a tour. Leave the driving hassles & research details to someone else and enjoy your day.... it will be a full one.

--------
Michael'nA2
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:48 PM

When we made our daytrip we left Rome on a train around 7 am, then toured for about 4 hours. We took the train to Naples, got on a bus and went to the glass enclosed shopping area called Galleria Umberto I. We shopped, then strolled around the area and had a meal, then returned to the Naples train station for the trip back to Rome. It made for a very long day, but we were glad to have seen a "taste" of Naples.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:13 PM

My last trip to Rome in 2000. We took a tour booked through our hotel front desk, it was approx $100 USD per person. It was a nice full size bus that went for a drive through Naples, to Pompeii for lunch and a few hours tour of the ruins and then on to Sorrento for a brief stop. Then back to Rome. A full day but a great trip.
It was a nice "appitizer" to get to know what the area is like. For our trip back this year in Nov 2005, we will stay overnight in Sorrento or Amalfi, on the coast and spend our own day at pompeii. The hotel Luna Convento looks amazing! www.lunahotel.it I will probably stay there.
Making sure you get to see Pompeii is the most important thing, no matter how you go about it.
Good luck
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:27 AM
ira

Hi mitch,

Train schedules for Rome/Naples are at www.trenitalia.com.

You then take the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Pompeii Scavi.

There are guides at the site.

Train back to Naples. Buy a metro ticket at a tabac stand. Take the metro to Piazza Cavour. There are signs to the Archaeological Museum.

Take Via S M Costantinopoli S to Piazza Bellini. Have a dinner at Pizza Bellini.

Walk back to train station via Via d Tribunali. It's downhill - abt 1/2 hr.

Train back to Rome.

Enjoy your visit.