Any side day trips from Rome to Pompeii?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Lisa

Any side day trips from Rome to Pompeii?

We are staying in Rome for three days, then moving on to Siena and Florence. We really would like to take a day trip to Pompeii. Any suggestions on how to get there? Is there bus or train service (we aren't renting a car)? How long does it take to get there from Rome? This is our first trip overseas so we are a little concerned about finding our way around. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Julie

Lisa - I was in Italy two years ago and visited Pompeii. I was traveling from Naples to Pompeii so my journey was shorter than yours will be. I would assume that the best way to get from Rome-Pompeii would be to take a high speed train between Rome and Naples and then take a train from Naples to Pompeii. The Rome-Naples trip is under two hours and the Naples-Pompeii only about half and hour. The second leg of your journey will be on the circumvesuviana line (located underneath the train station - the main one - at Piazza Garibaldi_ and costs about five bucks return.<BR><BR>When I was staying in Rome I ended up doing a quick daytrip to Naples and it was an easy one - not too long on the train. Just make sure you get a high speed train, the other ones are older and will ofen stop at every little town on the way.<BR><BR>I hope this has helped. There may be an easier way of going about things but not that I know of!<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:03 AM
JET

A day trip to Pompeii is a long day but a fairly easy one in terms of finding your way. Take a high speed train from Rome to Naples, if I remember correctly they leave almost every half hour. We left at about 7.30 in the morning in order to get a reasonably long time at the site. In Naples take a the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. If I am right the stations are in the same place (ie the station that you arive in Naples at and the one for the suburban train, merely a walk across (but I could be wrong on this).<BR><BR>The way is very well sign posted, we managed it on our first trip overseas with very little difficulty.<BR><BR>Be warned it is a long day, (the travelling time is probably around 21/2 hours) but most definately worth it.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Nancy

If you only have 3 days in Rome, and have not been there before, I would not recommend that you try to include a day trip to Pompeii. There is so much to see and do in Rome that 3 days will barely scratch the surface...sacrificing one day to go to Pompeii when you can see ruins of the same age and in better condtion in Rome seems like a waste of time to me. Two days in Rome is nowhere near enough, you can't do it justice in that short a time. <BR><BR>My personnal opinion is that you should save Pompeii for your next trip to Italy when you can do the Amalfi coast and Capri.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Steve James

Hello Lisa,<BR><BR>Train gives you the most flexibility.<BR>(As Julie says, just go downstairs at Naples station and follow signs for the CIRCUMVESUVIANA. Make sure you catch the SORRENTO train for Pompei. Get off at POMPEI SCAVI station, 100yds from the entrance).<BR><BR>There is also a direct bus service between Rome and Pompei (once per day each way).<BR><BR>There are also excursion tour buses from Rome to Pompei.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:05 AM
elaine

if you do a search here on Pompeii I hope you will get the past postings, including one by &quot;Walter&quot; which was wonderfully detailed about daytripping to Pompeii--he even mentioned which exit doors to use in the station.<BR><BR>If you can't find it, email me and I'll send you my Rome file into which I copied part of Walter's instructions.<BR>You can have the file anyway, if you want it.<BR>good luck

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Carol

I looked into this for my trip to Rome and decided to go to Osto Antica (I know I spelled it wrong, can someone help me!) It is much close to Rome, great ruins and practically no one else was there!

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elaine's file.
I used one of Elaine's files for London. It was super.

Elaine: I do not have your email. Could you (or someone else) send it to me so that I could get the Rome file.

London file was invaluable!